cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right Granularity of Enterprise Services in order to be used in User Interf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

i would like to create an aplication based on roadmap component (webdynpro) that uses SAP enterprise services.

After every step i will issue errors if data is wrong.

For ES there are operations (ex. Check Sales Order Creation ). What is if this check deliver error, that fields are not filled althou the fiels are intentend to be entered in next steps.

What does it mean:

Must i redisign my application so that it is sutable to service granularity?

If the customer say "no, the application is fine". Am i forced to implement the same checks in user interface although they will be executed via enterprise service after all steps are processed - not nice soluton.

Does it mean that enterprise service must have many small operations as check to check all my cases, or maybe big check operation must be in some way configurable to ignore some not relavant at current stage checks - a list of fields to check can be provided or ES can deliver all error messages and frontend can delete not relevant.

What is your expirence with Enterprise Services by using them in UI?

thanks

Best regards.

Paul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Probably I didn't understood your question correctly but if my understanding is correct then either by check you mean either you are validating user input or you are checking if operation is performed correctly?

In first case ES are not particularly helpful (however few ES available to validate data against valid data) and you must handle this on UI level.

In second case ES are designed in such way that they perform "whole" business operation which might contain vairous technical operation, this is required to ensure integrity of data. Usually all ES return log or fault message which contain useful information about error etc which can be handled on frontend side. this is again to give flexibility to application developer to propagate proper user friendly message or trigger error handling procedure.

Difference between business service is that every ES can be mapped to meaningful business activity or operation and this particular ES execute multiple technical services in single LUW to ensure transactional consistency.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct or above answer is helpful.

Regards,

Gourav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

>Probably I didn't understood your question correctly but if my understanding is correct then either by >check you mean either you are validating user input or you are checking if operation is performed >correctly?

>In first case ES are not particularly helpful (however few ES available to validate data against valid >data) and you must handle this on UI level.

Hi Gourav,

i would like to find ESs which are used to validate user data and can provide as outbound parameter after validation default data from backend or modify acording some rule input data. Default data must be delivered also if check is not succesful but particular defaults can be calculated if provided input data is enough for defaults but not enough for complete check.

It were also nice, if ES would deliver a list of errors (complete check of data) and not terminate after first error.

For me is importatant to find appropriate format for an own service that i am going to use in my ui.

ESs were then only a good example.

Thanks

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Few functionalities which you require to validate user input is already exist in ES but they are mainly validation against data format/type.

For validating functional correctness of data few check service available which simulate actual behavior of ES but do not perform commit at backend.

Requirement you specified is very specific like giving list of valid error and default data. ES are generic to cover core functionality and purposly don't give specific information as it hamper reusable nature of ES.

Usually you collect data in UI and send it to ES (backend), actual operation on this data performed in backend and if something is wrong with data then fault message is returned which can be displayed to user.

To minimise requirement of frequent user input error I suggest following:

- Wherever possible give user option to select from drop down list (which can be populated with valid data using ES).

- Call actual ES once data is collected.

It will minimize wrong user entry and invalid data by great extent.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Gourav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gourav,

use of DropDownBoxes is always very helpful, but dates or simple input fields also must be checked. For them i would like to use the mentioned service.

Best regards,

Dimitri