cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Windows 2003 (64 bit) to Windows 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts!!!!!

Recently we have been facing performance issue in our CRM 2007 development system. particulary with Tcode CRMD_ORDER. We have analysed from all corners like processor (4 processor), RAM (12 GB), User load (40 users), memory parameters, Network load, and also the EWA report from solution manager which shows that performance factor as green inidcator. But, while checking the load by transaction wise CRMD_ORDER is taking lot of time. We also run the DB Check and statistics update regularly. So, I presumed that probelm is with CRMD_ORDER tcode and posted the issue with SAP where it has come up with a solution to migrate OS from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 as this is a issue with Windows 2003 server as per notes 1320013 and 1316558.

Now, what I would like to know is migrate from windows 2003 (64 bit) server to Windows 2008 then we need to follow system copy process only right. If yes then we need to follow homogeneous copy method only as this is same windows environment only or have to go with heterogenous copy. Also, if I do a homogenous copy then I need to take the backup and also export the data from current 2003 server and then clean it completely. After that need to install 2008 server and then install SAP freshly and then restore the data from backup or system copy method. Is this right or is there any other better way. Also, kindly suggest if you find any advantages or disadvantages with this process or migration.

Kind Regards,

Sharath

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Since both are Windows envroinment, go with homogeneouns system copy. Install the SAP software with DB in New Win 2008 and restore the database. Hope you are planning to keep the same host name for new server. If no, please do the hostname change procedure.

Regards,

JP.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the replies and I will follow the homogenous system copy method only. And yes, I am aware of the fact that Windows 2008 R2 is not supported.

Regards,

Sharath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sharath,

Win2008 has very strong security policy . Kindly go through that first .

Thanks and Regards,

ARun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, yes you can do standart homogeneous system copy. First of all you need to test your scenario (if it are Productive server)

Create good backup and after try to do TEST system copy on installed win 2008, (this will show for you all

possible errors and surprises. But note SAP does'nt support current the windows 2008 R2 , more information -->

Regards.