cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run SAP PI Interfaces 24X7. How

Former Member
0 Kudos

How I can run PI Interfaces 24X7 to achieve Business Continuity.

The solution provided as u2013

Install Separate additional PI System u2013 called as Federation PI.

Is this solution really applicable?

Details:

1. Our Current Production Landscape holds only One PI System

2. These interfaces hold Critical, Sensitive Finance, employee Data posting to ECC etc.

3. HA options are available and Planned Outages are communicated with Non-SAP Process teams.

4. No performance issues.

5. PI Scaling is in progress to balance load on PI System.

Requirement: We seek PI Production System up and running 24X7 for all above interfaces with out any interruption.

Below Issues: Makes our PI Production System Shut-down for certain period

1. Planned outages

2. Un-planned outages

3. Upgrades

4. Allowed Down-time

5. SPOF

Solution: Federation of SAP PI

1. A very good solution u2013 so that we can switch to another PI System when first PI system is down for any reason.

2. We need to maintain IR, ID objects of interfaces that we planned for 24X7 in both PI Systems.

3. Communication Channels are active in only One PI system.

4. Manual activation of Communication Channels is required when we plan to switch Second PI Server.

That Implies

5. There is minimum amount of downtime is present.

6. So, 24X7 of runtime is not achievable.

My Only one Question:

Is there any automated procedure for this runtime procedure..!!?

Switching in between PI Systems might be possible.

But, how we can implement activation of CC in Second PI System with out manual interaction?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not sure how automatic switching would be possible. May be something at web dispatcher level to switch the underlying server communication.

There are few more points to be considered:

1. The SLD should be different and replica of the PI Production system

2. The SAP system connected to PI production systems have to be configured to start sending data (Idocs, RFC) to new PI system through RFC destinations.

A doubt

Would this federated PI system use the same hostname so that the third party doesn't have to change anything at their end?

But, how we can implement activation of CC in Second PI System with out manual interaction?

There shouldn't be any problem even if you keep most of the channels active, unless you send data through them. The only channels that need to remain inactive would be the polling ones. Instead of deactivating channels, you may stop such channels from CC monitoring and then it would be a manual but one time task to select all Stopped channel and activate them.

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raj,

Thank you.

We have mostly File and JMS adapters. So activation in both PI Systems is not possible.

I am looking for the solution automated -switching and activation of these channels

I am hoping Both PI system requires same host name.

We can configure Second PI system to communicate with other SAP Systems. That is not an issue even.

Sushil,

I am going to come back to you.

Your answer little tricky and there is a point in it...

Let me discuss with my team on your suggestion.

Thank you.

Madhu,

Thank you for the answer.

I need to apply and validate your solution especially to File and JMS adapters.

IDOC, HTTP, RFC are OK.

1.Web Dispatcher option can be implemented in Server level.

2. This solves the issue routing messages to another server when first server is down.

3. But, only works for HTTP Messages. not for File based.

4. We have IBM's HACMP for HA option. not for Load balance.

5. We are planning for SAP Web dispatcher which also for HTTP messages.

Let me look at Madhu'sSolution and Sushi's also...

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Currently we are about to start the POC for my client, and the scenarion is like this

We have a ECC system( which will send the IDOC ) and it will be received by my central PI system.( which is is in UK).

The client is present in multiple locations( UK,AUS,US), they want to install the additional PI boxes in AUS and US and they want to have a federation with central PI system which present in UK.

we have two scenarios.

1) The IDOC will trigger from ECC and then it will go to central PI system and then it has to go to local PI system and then to the third party system.

2) The IDOC will trigger from ECC system and then it has to go to the local PI and then to the central PI box and then to the third party system.

Can you please let me know how can achieve these two scenarios and how to install local PI boxes in federation with the central PI box.

Regards,

Pradeep J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi - Maybe you can look at a hybrid approach between federation and distribution.

As you describe, the federated approach brings clear advantages, but can also lead to a significant cost increase, as you need to maintain a whole domain as a hot stand-by. If you can afford to have a mirror system just for coverage of planned outages, than thats great of course.

For near-dynamic resource allocation check if adaptive computing controller can help.

Mathias.

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP PI Federation is a hot topic now.

Many of clients already implemented multiple servers for their SAP PI production environment to:

- Achieve Business Conitinuity

- Solve Performance Issues

- 24X7 Availability

- Seperate by business process

SAP Provided solutions for Fast switching between Servers. You can find the documentation @SDN easily.

Thank you everybody.

Regards,

Kavitha

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Virtualization is also a key player here.

Check the results of this project conducted at SAP Co-Innovation Lab:

[original link is broken]

Here an article describing more details of the Netapp x Vmware DR solution: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/1025469e-6d56-2c10-e68a-e09618343...

Screencam: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/elearn?rid=/library/uuid/b0f74f51-7056-2c10-ff8d-ddbcb6673fa0

BR,

Henrique.

madhusudana_reddy2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kavitha,

you can write one java class to start all channels of second server(extra server) at a time. For this you need to put all second server sender channels in external control mode in runtime workbench. But how can you control the Idoc adapter and HTTP adapter where we can not control them(as there is no sender communication channels for idoc and http). If you create partner profile in sender system for second PI server it will come to both first PI server and second PI server. So this solution will give you problem, in case of HTTP and IDOC adapters.

thanks,

madhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Just a thought,

One option could be keep adapter service is off mode & when you want to start your Federation PI, start those services so all channels will start automatically.

Ask applicaiton to connect to PI system using Alias name (which can be defined as DNS entry by network team) so that application which are sending the data..to PI reaches to new PI automatically in case of switch over. This will save time for IDOC, Proxy, RFC or web based interfaces.

Automatic switching is not possible in PI however you can work only to minimize downtime.

Regards

Sushil