cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic equipment number creation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SAP gurus,

I want to know how else can i create serialised equipment without the system automatically creating an equipment number.

I have already created a new serial number profile with default without equipment indicator '1' and assigned the profile to the material master.

It still creates an equipment when i do a goods receipt

Kind Regards

Emanuel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member478182
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Emanuel

As for your issue, i have to report that this is a standard system behaviour irregardless of release version. The serial number has no own "master record".

In fact it is stored in form of a rudimentary equipment master record (table EQUI). So everytime you create a serial number manually or when a serial number is created automatically out of a business

transaction you will get such an equipment record.

However, such a rudimentary equipment cannot be changed or viewed with transactions IE0x, you have to use the transactions for the serial numbers (IQ0x). But you can extend an existing serial number to a full equipment record.

An equipment NUMBER is always created when you create a new serial number, regardless of having marked w/o equipment. But when you have marked the w/o equipment it means that really only the equipment number and very few further data is created, but no COMPLETE equipment master

data as you would get when you don't mark w/o equipment.

The equipment number will be generated in every case, whatever the field EqReq is filled with ' '(blank), '1' or '2'.

This feature has a techinical background: Serial numbers are stored in the database table EQUI and require a unique key - the 'equipment number'. These equipment numbers can not be maintained via transaction IE02.

The suggestion or work-around given was:

If you don't want to have the "jumps" within the equipment numbers for real equipments you can assign the serial numbers to a different equipment type with its own number range. Then you can avoid the jumps within the real equipments.

Hope the information is helpful.

Regards,

Jane