cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Netweaver Implementation on i5/OS (DB4) Query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

We are implementing SAP on DB2 UDB Database on i5/OS.

Since I am new to i5/ OS, I would like to get familiar with this environment.

1- I would like to know what is substitue for the below 4 commands used in i5/ OS.

1- vmstat

2- iostat

3- top

4- netstat in Unix OS

2- Also what is the subsitute for the below 7 filesystems used in i5/ OS.

In Unix we have

1- /usr

2- /etc

3- /usr/bin , /usr/sbin

4- /dev, /boot, /lib

5- /home

6- /opt etc.

7- /var

3- Where are the temporary files stored in i5/OS.

4- How can I specify the env variables in i5/ OS.

5- In Unix, we have root user, what is the substitute to root user in i5/OS.

6- I have worked with DB2 database on AIX 5.1. How is DB2 database different on i5/ OS compared to AIX OS?

7- Can anyone kindly provide me OSS Notes, a URL containing i5/ OS Documentation and i5/ OS Admin activities.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks & Regards,

Imran

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Imran,

there is a class ADM525 available, that is dealing with all the aspects of running SAP on IBM i (or i5/OS). Usually this class is offered by IBM, not by SAP, so you should check with IBM for the availability of this class. If you enter "CALL QP2TERM" or "QSH" on an IBM i command line, you get a Unix-type shell that might be more familiar to you. However, this is only a shell, not a fully implemented Unix.

Now to your questions:

Q1: I would like to know what is substitue for the below 4 commands used in i5/ OS.

A1: The netstat command also exists on IBM i (i5/OS), for the other commands no direct equivalents exist. Some of the information is available through commands like WRKSYSSTS, WRKDSKSTS, WRKACTJOB and the Performance Tools product.

Q2: Also what is the subsitute for the below 7 filesystems used in i5/ OS.

A2: The directories that you list also exist on IBM i, except for /opt, which has an equivalent of /QOPT. However, the directories are not used in the same way. For example, while you expect /etc on Unix to contain TCP/IP configuration files, that information is maintained through the IBM i command CFGTCP rather than files in the /etc directory.

Q3: Where are the temporary files stored in i5/OS.

A3: IBM i uses a single-level storage concept which treats the combination of all disk units and all memory as one large virtual address space. You can divide the disk units into multiple "Auxiliary Storage Pools" (ASPs), and temporary data always resides on the system ASP (ASP number 1).

Q4: How can I specify the env variables in i5/ OS.

A4: Use the command WRKENVVAR. For specifying system-wide environment variables, use WRKENVVAR LEVEL(*SYS).

Q5: In Unix, we have root user, what is the substitute to root user in i5/OS.

A5: QSECOFR

Q6: I have worked with DB2 database on AIX 5.1. How is DB2 database different on i5/ OS compared to AIX OS?

A6: DB2 for IBM i and DB2 for Linux/Unix/Windows are similar in the SQL syntax but very different in the implementation. Hence administration of DB2 on IBM i is quite different from administration of other DB2 installations.

Q7: Can anyone kindly provide me OSS Notes, a URL containing i5/ OS Documentation and i5/ OS Admin activities.

A7: Start here: [|http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/eserver/ibmi.html]

Kind regads,

Christian Bartels.

Answers (0)