cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Post Xml data into interactive form in web dynpro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to be creating the xml source for web dynpro programatically.

This is because my adobe form is highly dynamic where even the kind of ui elements and the position is decided at runtime.

It is a highly interactive chart which I am planning.

I want to then bind this dynamically generated xml to the pdf.

Let me know your ideas.

Thanks,

Harish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

as far as I can tell this is not possible. Even if it would be possible it would be a developer´s nightmare. The Adobe forms are not intended for such flexibility (to create the whole content dynamically). You can do that for a print form, there are even some examples how to create the PDF prints from scratch. It works the same way Java iText library works. But the result is not a form, it has no LCD designed structure, it is a "mess" like when you generate a complex form without DYNAMIC and FILLABLE and next try the resulting PDF import into the LCD.

The common design technique in Adobe forms is to create "everything you will possibly use on runtime" and show or hide the parts created during the design time based on the runtime conditions.

I am sorry I cannot help you and if anybody can, I am looking forward to the magic which would let the user create something like this. That would be a revolution (and you would spot that in commercials:))).

Have a nice day, Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

Please tell me if that were the case how do I generate a pdf form which includes a dynamic org chart. The chart may have any number of hierarchical levels horrizontal or vertically further complicated by symbols like circles hyper links and so on.

We know that such forms exist in the market for tools not built in sap. But if that is possible , then should be as well.

I hope you get I must control the position , the shape and size of these symbols. Further the number of circles or number of lines cannot be known at design time

Thanks,

Harish

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mmmmm quite the dilema there.....

Here's my first stab at it.

Have your tried to generate your org chart in the background in some manner, then saving it....possible as an image.....and then simply referencing that image in your Adobe form? That would be my approach.

Your native controls for Adobe are fairly limited, so my guess is you will need something you can "embed" (3rd party control?) in the form. Maybe something like having Visio gnerate the Org Chart (I know there is a product/solution for Visio that does that), dump it as a file, and then embed that file in your form (if even possible).

There are some online examples of charts in Adobe forms, but I don't think I have seen an org chart (they are more the pie/bar graph sorts).

Just curious as to why your are trying/wanting to do this in a form though. As you said, there are plenty of other tools/applications for the job that handle it much better/cleaner.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Point is the client have seen a beautiful chart in the market generated in pdf and they want a similar stuff. Buying the product is outa question as there is no budget for that. The chart is built on data from SAP. We have all the data ready and if it were a static chart with only data coming from SAP then its a piece of cake. But here the data controls the display. In a particular line, I do not know how many people will be at that level, do you get that? So the structue of Chart varies according to SAP Data.

The need of the hour is a pdf to show the chart and distribute it across in email. We actually seen a wonderful pdf document generated by vendor(unaffortable again) which just displays the org chart in pdf, dynamically. The user can decide how many levels of details he wants in his pdf and so on. Aand the most beautiful thing is if there are 10 people which overflows the A4 width the size contracts. The pdf document is pretty dymanic, where if I click on a link, I can go to a location in the document, do you get that?

Adobe interactive form is a good choice for that it exactly what it is interactive. The concern here is on fitting the chart.

Thanks,

Harish

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I get exactly what you want. Just not sure why you want to reinvent the wheel.....especially if you have seen it and know where to get it. That sounds like an awful lot of software development that the other company already did (and yes, I know how OM works and how complicated that structure can get.....and how much coding it would take to handle it all). I understand you said that it is not "affordable" to buy the other product, but you're implying that it is more affordable to then spend time on full development as well as maintenance after the fact?

In any event, here is a link discussing kind of what I mentioned....they got it working...

http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?pid=31956

Past that, why not join the Adobe developer's community and pose your question on there. I joined and often get a lot of non-SAP, Adobe help there.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think, If I get the interactive form to work it is not as full of work as it is assumed to be since each line's contents are qulickly known and will be mapped to a subform. The template would be there and there should not be an error.

Thanks,

Harish

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Conclusion from my point of view:

1) You cannot have this thing interactive if you want to work with all the features of OM, if you want to cover all the details. In that case you need to create some tool for drawing the pictures for you and then only send the picture into the form. If anybody would like to do the changes you would add the table at the bottom of the page where a guy can say something like "chair A move under the big banana B" or "fire Mr. C, remove the position of Mr. C". That is probably the thing I would go for

2) I am afraid you or your employer do not understand how the Adobe forms work. This is possible, but as I said before, that would be a nightmare for the developer (I cannot tell the price, would start with like 20 MDs).

3) If you would like to mimic some existing solution and don´t want to buy that, then it´s ok for me. But don´t try to re-create the existing .NET or Java stuff in ABAP. I am skilled Java programmer and I can tell the freedom and the speed of the development is quite different. If the customer/ boss insist on developing such thing, use WEB development, go for PURE JAVA (I would go this way), use Java Connector in a JSP/ J2EE stuff and then incorporate the result into the portal.

Hope that clarifies the problem a little,

regards Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your adivice .

We already have an Org Charting tool that gives none of the features even sending to a pdf or downloading an image, and we need to therefore develop an inhouse solution not buy a new product.

We had two alternatives and I am trying alternate 1 because it gives some flexibility in interaction with pdf and is far more impressive.

1. Since I know roughly that in a row , there would either be a rectangle or a circle or a line and subform with text elements.

I have an idea to delimit number of such symbols in that subform. Once decided on the number say 10 or 20 we create them statically in subform. The position of these symbols and their visibility will be governed at runtime and then we repeat subform to cover the whole page. In setting the position of these symbols , I am running into issues, which I have documented in a seprate thread to preserve continuity of the two topics. This issue is encountered only when I am using more than one instance of the subform.

2. Develop a web chart and publish that stuff to pdf.

Thanks,

Harish

Answers (0)