cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Available to Promise issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We have a situation where we cannot promise to the customers the availability of material on a right day. Sales order is showing incorrect available day, due to this there is a chance of losing customers.

The problem is explained below.

Finished products - A1, B1, C1 (Each has lead time 28 days) - this is packaged material.

semifinished product - D1 Lead time 3 days

Semifinished can go in any of the finished product. BOM is maintained fir finished goods and each has component D1.

So when the sales order is created, system is showing the availability after 28 days, which is correct and based on lead time.

When we have semi finished already in stock, but still in sales order availabilty showing as 28 days which is incorrect. It should show the availability is 3 days.

So whenever the sales order is created for finished product, it should check the semi finished availability, and if there is a stock available for finished product then system has to promise customers after 3 days or else it should promise after 28 days.

I am not an SD guy. Please suggest me on the above business process. Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Quantum.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

sidi_reghioui
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

What you say here is a bit confusing:

When we have semi finished already in stock, but still in 
    sales order availabilty showing as 28 days which is incorrect.
     It should show the availability is 3 days

If you have your HALB product but not your Finished product, why should the availabilty days in 3 days.

See that the availabilty check taks in account several dates, and the material availabilty date is one of them.

Like the fellows said you should review the configuration of your BOMs.

I assume you want to deliver the finished product (A1+D1) all together, then you should make the setting for group deliveries, which will check the availabilty date (schedule lines) of the latest available material and confirms this date.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_470/helpdata/en/08/ee9e03994511d194df00a0c9306794/content.htm

Regards

Sidi

Edited by: Lakshmipathi on May 13, 2010 6:50 PM Aligned the coded sentence

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Which BOM have u created. Sales BOM or Production BOM.

Assuming Sales BOM & header BOM: The Finished product will be checked for availability. If in stock it will be confirmed else it will be confirmed on lead time which is 28 days.

The semi-finished item's availability will not be checked, it will appear as kind of text item only.

Please make ur requirement more clear.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Quantum

Your product and lead time definitions need to be changed, I guess.

I think your end product- product to be delivered to be customer- let's call it E1- should be set us as the BOM header. From my reading of the situation, D1 is a Packaging Material and not necessarily a component of E1. That's a different story.

Any way the BOM of E1 would be

Item Material Qty

10 A1 1

20 D1 NNN

The lead-times for the BOM components should be set as follows:

D1- 3 days

A1- 25 days

So when an order is created for E1, the following scenarios can emerge:

Both A1 and D1 not available, order lead-time = 28 days

A1 available, D1 not available, order lead-time = 3 days.

A1 not available, D1 available, order lead-time = 25 days.

Both available = 0 days, May be you need to add some transportation planning or pick pack time somewhere of 1 day.

Does this work? Let us know. Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandrasekhar

You understood my question completely, i believe you repeated the same as i did.

You explained very clearly though, but i am seeking solution for this.

You said transportation planning and pick pack time to be added as 1 day. I dont know how system behaves based on that 1 day to pick pack and transportation, but i believe it just 1 more day the availability date.

Your explanation given below, my system should look at the component level and availability should automatically get populated based on below scenario.

Both A1 and D1 not available, order lead-time = 28 days

A1 available, D1 not available, order lead-time = 3 days

A1 not available, D1 available, order lead-time = 25 days

So, If create sales order for E1, and if A1 is available and D1 is not available, then in sales order availability should show as 25 days not 28 and vice versa with other scenarios.

Please advice, how to solve the above.

Thanks,

Quantum.

Edited by: quantum on May 12, 2010 10:37 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, I am not quite getting what you need.

But the solution involves:

1) Setting up Material Master data- MRP2 tab- Scheduling section- with lead times as indicated for A1 and D1. A1 is in-house produced I guess, so set it up with In-house production lead time and D1 is procured, so set it up with Planned Deliv. Time, may be.

2) Set up BOM for E1 for SD usage. It may be worthwhile to set up an alternate BOM with same data for Production usage. Consider if you want to set up anything in the MRP data of BOM Items- Off-set lead-times.

3) Consider if you want to set up Routing for E1 with one operation as Assembly with 1 day as processing time, take the help of a PP guy to do this.

4) create an order for E1 and test the various scenarios.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
whenever the sales order is created for finished product,
      it should check the semi finished availability

These are all user discipline !!!!!!!!!!

Moreover, you have not indicated that the HALB is in unrestricted (final) storage location or in WIP. Nevertheless, you should ask the client why such practice is being allowed in the plant. Once the semi finished is made available, it should be included in the respective FERT unless they are in WIP storage location.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you want to deliver the semi finished product D1, independent of the BOM (A1,B1 and C1) material availability? If D1 is readily avaialble, do you wish to deliver it at the earliest?