cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advisor Approval

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

Our client wants to implement advisor approval process through the portal. Does anyone have any idea or experience about approval process through web services?

Regards,

Kerem

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RobJonkers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kerem,

For what particular process would you like to do this and why specifically with webservices? I ask this questions because we have several standard available workflows (most of them in or after Ehp3). For what I understand now (please be more detailed in your questions ) workflow sounds like a possible tool for your process.

Some standard available workflows:

- HRIQ_ADM_UG: admissions

- PIQ_GCR: change grade request

- PIQ_SCA: special booking approval

For the last two we also have standard webdynpro's available which can incorporate the trigger for the mentioned workflows.

You might could use these worfklows as a reference (trx: SWDD) for your process.

br,

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

Actually we know the workflows you mentioned but we need a more general approval process

In order to make things clear, we want to use advisor approval in module booking, add/drop and withdrawals. In module booking, the students books the modules and then advisor approves the bookings student made. It is same for the add-drop process of modules. In withdrawal, it is same too, but actually in withdawals we also want to use a double password system which will ask for both the passwords of advisor and student (if we can )

As known, advisor approval process is generally used in the universities, but mostly as paperwork and we want to get rid of those paperworks

Regards,

Kerem

RobJonkers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kerem,

Thanks for the clarification. Are there any specific reasons an advisor needs to check/approve/postprocess before the actual module booking(s!) can take place? Is it 'only' for a small amount of students? Because in my opinion (forgive my lack of exact business process knowlegde from your customer ) the course registration is for the student only. Any restrictions should/could be processed with the rule framework or with other solutions (only booking in program of study, delimit search options, etc). Creating an approval process is actually an extra 'digital' paper process step in the whole chain. However if there are specific reasons that cannot be covered with the mentioned 'solutions' a workflow approval should do the work.

The dropping of modules could be another case, here it seems more logic to me to use somekind of an approval process.

Regarding the withdrawl; looking at the fantastic things SAP offers nowadays with webservices, open integration, standard IDM netweaver integration (from Ehp5 on) etc, etc you could build something like this but in my opinion it seems making things unnecessary complicated 😕

br,

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

First of all, thanks a lot for your advices. Sorry, if I created some conflicts, I will try to explain further.

Advisor approval is a main part of the module booking process for our customer, which will effect all of the students while booking modules. Every student will have an academic advisor and each student has to get his/her advisor's approval for the module bookings. In fact, the system will be checking prerequisites, corequisites, credit limitations per semester and some other rules through VSR; but advisor approval is also needed as a final step of the module booking process. Our scenario is as follows:

In module booking; after the students books the modules thorugh web, the advisor will be warned in his/her personal portal page to check the booked modules by the students. Actually comments of the advisors will play not a certain decision role like approve or deny, but a recommendatory role for the planning of courses for that semester. If the advisor does not want to approve the booked modules, then he/she gets in contact with the student and they plan a conversation if necessary to discuss about the modules.

In add-drop and withdrawal processes, advisor plays a different role. In these cases, the student needs exact approval of advisor. The advisor may deny the add-drop request or withdrawal request of the student if the demand of the student are improper. Advisor will be the one to make the final decision for tha changes. Also the students will be limited to add-drop a module once and withdraw from a module once per semester.

Hope I could explain things better now:)

Can you explain IDM netweaver integration a bit further?

Best Regards,

Kerem

Edited by: keremodev on May 10, 2010 9:59 PM

RobJonkers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kerem,

Thanks for the clarification. To be honest I still do not see any particular reason, beside the recommendatory role for the planning of courses for that semester by the advisor, for creating this extra step. However if the university insist I would definitly recommend to use the technique of workflow to achieve it. Make sure that the bookings that are made by the student are not yet final bookings. The final booking should in your case be done by the advisor.

Regarding the integration of SAP SLcM and IDM: a collegeau just wrote a blog about it:

- /people/bernhard.escherich/blog/2010/04/28/better-services-in-higher-education-without-identity-management-no-chance

- In a nutshell: SAP SLcM also consist out of 'persons' that can have several statusses in the whole lifecycle. For every status this person will get an automated integration with SAP IDM netweaver is there. Based on for example the applicant status you will get a particular set of roles (system wise and portal wise), as an admitted applicant you will get a (extra or other) role with more services, as a registered student you will be provided the 'student' role in the portal etc, etc.

Please note that the integration will be delivered in Ehp5.

br,

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

Thank you very much for your recommendations.

Now we are using an EHP4 system and I have been searching for EHP5 context for some time but could not find exact content. Is there an official explanation for EHP5 enhancements and release notes?

Best Regards,

Kerem

RobJonkers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kerem,

Ehp5 is not yet available for customers. First there will be a so called ramp-up phase for a selection of customers. This will start half of July. Then the general availability of Ehp5* for all customers will be half of December this year.

Official notes/information of SAP SLcM parts of Ehp5 are not yet there due to the facts above. I guess around July the release notes wil be there.

br,

Rob

*Summary of upcoming new functionalities (_actual delivery is subject to change!)_

 Extended booking check Badi enhancement;

 Additional parameters added to Course registration BADI;

 Demand Planning Report;

 New Selection Method for Modules;

 New relationship between SE and CG objects;

 Selection of Students in Object Manager via specialization.

 Technical Conversion of BSP Degree Audit Application WebDynpro; Application with functional Enhancements;

 Academic Substitution in degree audit web application;

 Refresh of degree audit in web application;

 Enhancement in Graduation Self Service;

 Regeneration of Admission Audit Profile;

 Appraisal note in Academic work;

 Intelligent admission codes in admission screen;

 Allow unoffered modules into a module plan;

 Maintain fee calculation data via mass assignment of student group/fee category report;

 Maintain capacity for Time Independent event;

 Maintain relative start-end date for Time Independent event;

 Maintain Multiple Instructor for Events w/o schedule;

 SAP Netweaver Identity Management Integration with SAP SLcM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,

Kerem

Answers (0)