Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDS on Parallels

manish_bhalla2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Has anyone successfully set up NWDS on a Mac?

I am trying to run NWDS on my MacbookPro using Windows 7 running on Parallels. I have installed it and downloaded all the updates from the SAP site, and it gave no errors while installing. I can see all the proper perspective such as the Process Composer, Rules Composer, etc.

But now when I try to import a sample application sca from SDN, it gives the following error:

Cannot update build status of DC <u2026>. DC not found in model.

A lot of the standard DCs seem to be empty. Additionally, when I try to create a new DC, all the special SAP DC types (Web Dynpro, Process Composer, etc) are grayed out. when selected, the system displays the following error:

Software Component does not support this Development Component Type. Required DCs are located in an SC that is not visible from the selected SC.

As a control measure, I used the same installation file (and update process) for NWDS on a separate machine, this time a PC running Windows 7. There, the installation works fine and I am not facing any of the above issues.

I am not sure whether my problems are being caused by the underlying Mac platform or the Parallels virtualisation, or both or neither?

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Manish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

manish_bhalla2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Okay, I have resolved this issue and can successfully use NWDS on my Mac. To close this thread off and serve as a reference for others, here are the solution details:

The root cause of the problem was that I had the NWDS installed in a folder on my OSX file system. So even though I could access it from the Windows environment once I had booted up into Windows using Parallels, it would not work as expected. When I just moved the folder to the Windows C drive, everything worked fine. I could then successfully develop and deploy as expected.

I also found that if I had a VPN connection running on the OSX, the Windows environment would not use that. So to deploy any components from the NWDS onto my CE server, I had to initiate the VPN connection from software running on the Windows environment.

Cheers

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

So even though I could access it from the Windows environment once I had booted up into Windows using Parallels, it would not work as expected.

I am confused - are you using NWDS now in MAC OSX natively or with your Parallels vm?

@SAP: Please provide support Linux / Mac as supported development environments. I am wondering what native windows code is used in NWDS and whether it cannot be replaced with platform neutral code?

Thanks

Kristian

manish_bhalla2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kristian,

I am now running NWDS on Windows, inside a Parallels VM that is running on my Mac. The NWDS folders, workspaces etc are all within the VM. I was having trouble when I had the folders on the mapped OSX folders, but executed within the VM (complicated, I know)

It would be so nice if SAP would give us a Mac/Linux version of NWDS and not have it Windows dependent.

Cheers

Manish

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I am trying to run NWDS on my MacbookPro using Windows 7 running on Parallels. I have installed it and downloaded all the updates from the SAP site, and it gave no errors while installing. I can see all the proper perspective such as the Process Composer, Rules Composer, etc.

Not sure Windows 7 is supported, it's not the PAM. The Windows 7 kernel is based on the Windows 2008 R2 kernel which is also not yet supported even if it might technically work "somehow".

Markus

manish_bhalla2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

To get around the problem of the Windows version, I did a bit of searching and I found a solution... if you add these lines to the end of the SapNetweaverDeveloperStudio.ini file, NWDS runs just fine.

-Dos.name=Windows XP
-Dos.version=5.1

Just to be sure it wasn't a problem with Windows 7, I installed the same version of NWDS on another laptop running Windows 7 natively (i's a Dell XPS machine), and I followed the same upgrade procedure. Now NWDS runs just fine on that machine.

So I can't figure out what's the problem.

Cheers

Manish

manish_bhalla2
Contributor
0 Kudos

155 views to this post, but no answers.

Update: Thinking that NWDS is at its core just eclipse, I installed a standard version of eclipse that I downloaded from eclipse.org. Then I copied all the plugins and features from the windows version of NWDS into this version. Now when I start it up I get the following error:

You are running Developer Studio with an unsupported JVM. Click Details for more information. Click OK to locate a supported JVM.

Reason: Your JVM is not supported.

Details:

Your JVM vendor is not supported.

Current JVM:

Apple Inc. JRE 1.6.0_20

java.home = /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home

Supported JVMs:

SAP AG JDK: java.version 1.5.0_11 or later

Sun Microsystems Inc. JDK: java.version 1.5.0_11 or later

Any ideas?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Your JVM vendor is not supported.

> Current JVM:

> Apple Inc. JRE 1.6.0_20

> java.home = /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home

> Supported JVMs:

> SAP AG JDK: java.version 1.5.0_11 or later

> Sun Microsystems Inc. JDK: java.version 1.5.0_11 or later

Well - the error message is pretty clear: You need either the SAP VM (comes with the NWDI installation) or a Sun VM 1.5.

Markus

manish_bhalla2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, but this is for my attempt to deploy NWDS on eclipse running natively on the Mac.

I don't get this error on my original installation of NWDS (on Parallels, running win 7).

Cheers

Manish

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Yes, but this is for my attempt to deploy NWDS on eclipse running natively on the Mac.

This doesn't work, NWDS contains native (= windows/JNI) libraries as extensions, it's not only "pure java".

> I don't get this error on my original installation of NWDS (on Parallels, running win 7).

See above.

Markus

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's not the complete truth. The JDK vendor changed in the past from SUN to Oracle. If you want to run NWDS for example with JDK 1.7, or a JDK 1.6 with vendor Oracle, there is no reason against this; it just takes some altering of the config.xml in the com.sap.ide.jvm.check plugin:

Add

<vendor name="Oracle Corporation">

<versionRange jdkRequired="true" minInclusive="1.6.0_07"/>

</vendor>

and you are done, the message "Your JVM vendor is not supported" has gone afterwards...

Needs to be done again when updating NWDS...

Best regards

Detlev