cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off filters on "Suggestions and Comments" forum

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is there any way that we can turn off the filters that stop us from posting various words/phrases just in this particular forum?

It's not like we have people questing for points here - but we often have discussions about them!

It's a bit infuriating to not be able to respond fully to some of the excellent threads because of a block list which is not really appropriate for this forum.

Thanks!

Chris

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
  • +2 thumbs * Otto

David
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I believe it is possible to do this. The current settings apply a global filter stack to all forum topics but the adninistrator interface implies it is possible to edit the stack and selectively apply it to an individual topic. The forum managers will see this thread and will likely have some input soon.

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, that is a pro-active approach!! Thank you, David

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you David!

Any Forum Managers seen this thread and reacted as per David's suggestion?

thanks,

Chris

former_member181931
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you give us a couple of examples of the words/expressions that are rejected by the system but that you would like to use in this forum?

Thanks, and FYI: I am still in training mode so trying to understand the request better before I discuss it with the team.

Laure

esjewett
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Laure,

Unfortunately we cannot provide the list of words and expressions that are blocked by the forum system because they are blocked by the forum system! Maybe you see the point of the request here

But maybe we can be a bit general about it. My understanding is that a lot of phrases regarding awarding points are blocked. Those should not be blocked in this forum. Additionally, phrases around other types of abuse behaviors (like requesting that emails be sent to private addresses) should not be blocked in this forum, because we would want to discuss those filters.

I'm hoping that this message is not blocked by the forum filters....

Ethan

former_member181931
Contributor
0 Kudos

Oops sorry that was a dumb question from my side. Red face... What was I thinking when I wrote this? Sorry

I see the point here and will discuss with the team. Maybe we can change the filter for this forum here, as suggested by David.

Also, we are currently investigating new ways to provide suggestions/ideas and discuss them in a more detailed manner. Maybe the place is then not the forum, but another platform such as an Idea Platform (see a [preliminary announcement |http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/18885] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];from Kuhan Milroy) or an activity in [Streamwork|http://sapstreamwork.com/].

But of course we don't want to divert discussions from SCN. So stay tuned and we'll get back to you in this thread!

Best,

Laure

esjewett
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not a dumb question at all. It was probably the best way to clarify that you could have thought of

Thanks for taking up the issue.

Ethan

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The best way to get ideas implemented is to have those making decisions suffer the same pain personally LOL. Of course Gali has the "black list" but perhaps a bit more thought around what could be the negative consequences of reinstating here. Just to make sure we haven't opened ourselves to the very behaviors that the community requested we address by turning certain phrases off.

There were instances when that was done as a response to spamming so I would request you all think a bit (wearing the hat of a troll) what might not be a good outcome of reinstating here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree that turning off the filters here should be considered, but in a different vein, in the other forums, they should be made to work less randomly. Every time I post a reply that caontains what I think may be banned words, I hold my breath. It may be rejected or it may go through.

Rob

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for your reply - as always, it is lovely to hear that our requests are being considered - but action is worth a 1000 words!

> so I would request you all think a bit (wearing the hat of a troll) what might not be a good outcome of reinstating here.

since the beginning of the year there have been by my count 143 threads started in this forum. Just slightly over 1 a day (1.092ish). Not a huge amount.

Could spammers flood this particular forum with announcements about how wonderful their new product was? Well yes - but what would be the value to them? - there's probably a very select few - less than a thousand SCN members, I'd suggest,( you may have some tools to do better metrics than that) who frequent the forum. And I'd suggest that they are the sort who'd be very happy to hit the abuse button. So for the effort to spam - the result would be minimal - I can't see the spammers wanting to do it. (First of all they'd have to find out that they could... not sure we'd be advertising the filter removal widely...).

Besides - with all those wonderful adverts popping up all over the forums - who'd need to spam the forums - SAP is already doing it for us...

So a not good outcome - we'd all have more opportunity to feel gumpy and hit the abuse button - but it would be a brave company that would attempt to spam this forum!

- Chris

former_member46
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I'm located in Israel so just coming into the office (+7 hours from US EST).

I can share that there was a lot of discussion generated about this topic within the team and all options are being considered. We certainly see the value of your request.

We promise to look into it and get back to you. BTW if it is feasible (no promises) would you recommend 'lowering the bar' for other forums too? For example: coffee corner? (they would have to be brave to spam that one too )

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've just spent an hour finding, and rejecting, posts that break certain rules - asking for / offering pnts, posting e.mail addresses and link farmers. For the first two, there are filters in place. They don't work, in my view. People just get round them, either by posting "my gmail is matt " or "matt.at. somedomain.com" etc. Or "pnts assured". etc.

Where I am in favour of the filter, is in blocking certain sites - like saptechnical - or the sites that spammers link to.

What I would like to see is the current "behavioural" filters modified, so that when they're triggered, the posts are marked in some way as "suspicious". Perhaps some inoccuous looking text could be added to the content of the post - that we can then search on. Or an automatic abuse report (this would be the most useful, I think). But the text remains as is.

matt

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Gali - re: the suggestion that other forums with similar purposes, where the users are not likely to be posting into gain pinots, yes I think the filters should be relaxed there too.

I've also decided until there is a relaxation of the filter that I'll be referring to a type of red grape instead - as I've found a little pinot is often enjoyable - and fortuately does not seem to be blocked...

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Pinot

LoL!

A few years back we had an SDNer who specialized in helping people in the Test and Playground forum. He was top contributor there for many months until finally found to be in illegal possession of SDN joints.

Cheers,

Julius

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

illegal possession of SDN joints

Ugh, huh? What´s that?

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

illegal possession of SDN joints

> Ugh, huh? What´s that?

A bye-pass for points. 😄

pk

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> I've just spent an hour finding, and rejecting, posts that break certain rules - asking for / offering pnts, posting e.mail addresses and link farmers. For the first two, there are filters in place. They don't work, in my view. People just get round them, either by posting "my gmail is matt " or "matt.at. somedomain.com" etc. Or "pnts assured". etc.

Matt, are you sure that the word points is still filtered? I don't think so ... at least not in the test forum (see my test-post: ) and of course not in these posts here:

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

points isn't filtered anywhere. How do you think I find people asking for points?

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK - today I tried to respond to a thread here with some very simple text:

It wasn't allowed! Why? What is wrong with this text?

<start quote>

Plus 1 - this is something that should have been caught and dealt with before being applied across the forums.

I'm not needing unlimited length (that would be nice, but ...) but can we please, at least, return to the limits previously imposed?

Could we have a forum patch? To fix this character count issue? Without a restart?

Many of the responses that actually explained in depth now look like rubbish - even if the author, like Rich (and referenced in this thread) had taken the time to split the post.

Thanks,

Chris

PS Julius - Kudos for doing the search for relevant thread first before starting a new thread

<end quote>

Edited by: Chris Paine on Aug 9, 2010 10:44 PM - ok NOW it works... sigh - I give in...

Edited by: Chris Paine on Aug 9, 2010 10:46 PM sorry about that - it truely wasn't working earlier when I was trying to respond to Julius' post about the forum formatting - perhaps there are different rules depending on whether you started the post or not... I don't know - I should have got a screen shot - I'd never believe me if I was one of my users reporting this...

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Obviously this question ISN'T answered - but that the topic of a different Idea Place idea.

Thanks people,

Chris

martinlang
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

11 votes up in Idea Place now, after voting I've also changed the Idea to "under review" and will contact our technical folks to validate the feasibility.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

12 now!

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've added this one to Idea Place

[https://ideas.sap.com/ideas/1137]

Please feel free to add your vote if you think it is worthwhile! (and also browse the other suggestions)

Cheers,

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Chris,

I was supposed to vote on Ideas but sorry my S-ID not supported there..

I got the message..

"Invalid username or password. Note: Service Market Place user login is not supported at this time. You may browse anonymously or create a new SCN account to submit feedback and ideas. Service Market Place login will be supported in an coming update. "

I wonder how it can suggest to create a new SCN account.. (In case of duplicate SCN account we could lose both as per forum rules) So have to step back till next update.

Regards,

Pushkar

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pushkar,

you need to get a certificate from service marketplace: as per the blurb on the Ideas Place login:

Latest Updates

Service Marketplace (SMP) logon is supported.You will need your SMP passport. To get a passport, go to service.sap.com and click on u201CBenefit from Single Sign Onu201D in the top-right corner. Sign on will be automatic afterwards.

Thanks for trying though!

Cheers,

Chris

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Waiting to see this commented on further and further "thumbs" up or down in Idea Place.

So far it looks like 6 voites thumbs up and 2 down....

Former Member
0 Kudos

+ 1 from me and same for Coffee Corner as well.

I anyway cannot imagine anyone asking for ponits here and getting away with it lightly..

Cheers,

Julius

ps: Downside however is that were it not for this filter, we would not have been able to test Chris's other problem from this morning here..

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Aug 16, 2010 7:01 PM

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hope you are all having fun recovering from/getting ready for SAPTechEd,

I'm getting insanely jealous watching my twitter feed and all the cool things people are talking about/seeing. sign - next year...

Sorry to be so off topic - but given that this post isn't going to be very value add - I thought I might make it at least a little interesting.

I've hit the 10 open question limit - so this one's going to have to close - shame it was fun

latest status on Idea Place - [Idea 1137 - Remove filters on certain fora - Comments & Suggestions and Coffee Corner |https://ideas.sap.com/ideas/1137] - was 10 votes for 2 votes against.

Hope we see some movement on this one at some point.

Cheers,

Chris

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thumbs Up to the idea.

pk