cancel
Showing results for
Search instead for
Did you mean:

SCOT Config: Message status Transmitted even when mail not received

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We have SCOT correctly configured on one of our systems. We are able to send external messages.

The problem we are facing is that sometimes some of the sent email bounces(doesn't reaches recepient). But the status on the message sent shows as transmitted.

We tried with couple of wrong mail ids and systems accepts that and forwards the message to it and sets the message status as transmitted.

We checked with our mail admin for the send logs and the mail server has logs for the messeages as failed.

We are working with the option SAPConnect expects receipt confirmation for internet mail.

Regrads,

Vishal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all,

My outgoing messages are going fine to other domains.

I have set read receipts confirmation, but that isn't working I guess.

I have tested and configured my system for incoming messages.

I checked it through following test and I received a msg in my sbwp inbox.

telnet {SAP application server} 25000

220 {SAP application server} SAP 700(37) ESMTP service ready

helo {own host}

250 {SAP application server}

mailfrom:<{sender address}>

250 Ok

rcptto:<{receiver address}>

250 Ok

data

354 Enter mail, end with "."

Date: fri, 15 May 2010

From: {sender address}

Subject: test

< <-- Enter a blank line here.

Hello test

. < <-- Enter only a period here.

250 OK <<-- This response may take a long time

quit

221 {SAP application server} Bye

Replace the lines in curly brackets with relevant values.

indented lines are the system response.

Can anyone let me know what settings has to be done on mail server side so that read receipts starts pouring in.

Regards,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vishal,

As long as everything on your end is saying it was transmitted, there's not much more you can do. I see this issue all the time and I can tell you, it's on the other end. You can check logs, and run traces, but ultimately it's on the customer's end.

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not so sure there is anything wrong with this behavior. Sending statuses and receipt confirmations are not really related. When you send a mail from your SAP system, whether the address is incorrect or not, your external mail server accepts it and as far as your SAP system is concerned it has been successfully sent. There is no bounce detection in other words on the SAP system, only your mail server knows of this(I think you can add bounce detection though but not standard).

With receipt confirmation, as far as I'm aware, your system will need to be configured for incoming messages too. Internal messaging should work fine with receipt confirmation but your SAP system still needs somehow to receive a receipt back. Also, receipt confirmation is not necessarily supported by all recipients which is why SAP provides you with the option to exclude certain addresses or recipients.

Nelis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vishal,

Please compare your SCOT settings with this document:

http://help.sap.com/printdocu/core/Print46c/en/data/pdf/BCSRVCOM/BCSRVCOM.pdf

We have configured the same and there are no issues for us.

Thanks,

Shitij