SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same Meter Serial Number for 2 devices

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

For Gas Business, there is scenario that two different meters can have the same meter serial number and be at different locations.

Therefore we need SAP to be able to handle the same meter serial number but treat them separately under two different MPRN/installations.

Is there any way in SAP we can have meters with the same ID?

I know if they are of different device categories this is possible but they are all of the same device category.

Please advise how this is possible? And also how the incoming and outgoing meter reads will be handled?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

Actually system would allow to create two "device info records" with same serial number for a device category, if the "Type of Device" field in the Device category is set as "Only Device info records Permitted; Multiple Ser. No. poss.".

Please try if it can help your case.

Thanks,

Sathya.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry there was a problem in my machine could not continue.

Edited by: putcha venkatesh on May 3, 2010 2:02 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is not possible to have same material number/serial number even though they are not the key fields for EQUI or EGERS. I don't see why we should allow this. Think about it, a manufacturer produces two devices, gives them unique serial numbers and sends it out to you. You would want to record those two devices in your system also with unique serial numbers. Field SERUNI in table T399J is the one that controls it but not sure where it can be changed. But one thing is that it cannot be changed once set.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh

As the previous poster already pointed out, the combination of material and serial number has to be unique within SAP.

I would actually question the data quality of the existing system, if there's a duplicate serial number for the same material, because it defies the purpose of a serial number.

Yep

Jürgen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

Actually system would allow to create two "device info records" with same serial number for a device category, if the "Type of Device" field in the Device category is set as "Only Device info records Permitted; Multiple Ser. No. poss.".

Please try if it can help your case.

Thanks,

Sathya.