cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Report Runtime start splwow64.exe on windows 64 OS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using the Crystal Reports runtime in our application. We are utilizing the runtime through the COM interface. Recently a client of us installed our application on windows 2003 64-bit. Now whenever a report is created windows starts splwow64.exe. As i understand this is a process started by windows to ensure compatibility with 32-bit. Normally this process is released when the job is done. However in our case the proces is never released and remains exclusively locked. Other application on the same machine also need this splwow64 process and this is now causing a problem.

When the other applications on the server start splwow64 first it released when the job is done. It is only when creating a report (pdf) using the CR-runtime, it is never released.

Any help would be very much appriciated!

TIA

Ronald

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

We are using CR runtime 11.

We are not using the viewer but creating a pdf on disk using the COM interface. The interface is closed/released when the reported has been created.

Regards,

Ronald

0 Kudos

Hi Ronald,

XI is past it's end of life so nothing we can do to fix it now. Try CR XI R2 ( 11.5 ) with Service Pack 6, it has a better chance of working on 64 bit OS's.

Go to this link: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/boc and download the trial version of CR XI R2 and use your XI keycode, then apply the patches which you can get to by clicking on the BusinessObjects tab above, then Downloads.

Direct link to the Trial version: http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/sme/freetrials/index.epx

Searching on this dll it appears to be the 32 to 64 bit Thunking spooler that converts 32 bit print jobs into 64 bit jobs ( or the other way around ). CR only supports 32 bit runtime so it may be that your print driver has issues. If you can find one that is 32 bit only but works on 64 bit OS then that will likely resolve the issue.

Otherwise I suggest you contact the printer manufacture and ask them how to make their 64 bit driver work with a 32 bit app.

Thank you

Don

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ronald,

Did you find a solution to this use scenario?  A user of my application is running into the same issue.

My application is using the RDC, CR XI R2 with Service Pack 6. And, as in your scenario, the operating system is 64 bit Windows 2003 r2.

When the application runs and simply prints a report, splwow64.exe appears in task manager and then goes away.  However, when the application exports to PDF, splwow64.exe appears in task manager and just stays there. When that happens, the user can't get anything to print until they terminate the splwow64.exe process.

Cheers,

- Ido

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ido

Just doing a bit of searching and I wonder if this may help:

Splwow64.exe process doesn't end after a print job finishes in the 64-bit version of Windows 7 or W...

I know the "process" is not the same, but...

Umm, one more:

Splwow64.exe process doesn't end & causes excel to flicker - Spiceworks

Not, trying to blame this on poor ol Microsoft LOL, just wondering.

- Ludek

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, Ludek.

The 1st link is probably not relevant because under non-pdf export processing (for example, printing) the splwow64.exe DOES quit after 2 minutes.

The 2nd link may be relevant.  I've forwarded the suggestion to the user.  I'll report back if they decide to go through the suggested process.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah I figured. Just throwing stuff on the wall, hoping something will stick...

- Ludek

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Ronald,

What version of CR are you using?

Have a look your processes using ProcessMonitor to see what is happening. Also be sure you release/close/dispose of the report objects when the viewer is closed. Any other objects you may be using also.

Thank you

Don