cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to SQL server 2008 from XI 3.0 ( SP23 )- will it work ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are on XI 3.0 ( SP23 , JDK version 1.3.1 ) and we are connecting to SQL 2005 currently for a few critical scenarios that we have.

The sql server 2005 is moving to a sql 2008 version.

My questions are -

1) Main question - Can we import and use the sql server 2008 jdbc drivers into our current XI 3.0 platform and will it be compatible and work with SQL 2008 server ( given our current XI JDK version - 1.3.1 )

2) We have some scenarios that still run on sql server 2008 and still need to connect to these from XI 3.0 . Can we have two different versions of jdbc drivers sitting on the same XI servers and refer to them in the different communication channel definitions ?

Any similar experiences that can be shared is appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. I haven't tried this but I doubt if this would be possible with JDK 1.3. I would suggest to raise an OSS and let SAP confirm this.

2. Yes, you can have 2 different version of drivers.

Regards,

Prateek

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member185881
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi karthik

You can refer this blog for driver /people/dheeraj.kumar5/blog/2010/03/23/sql-server-2008-connectivity-with-sap-pi-70-possile

Hope so u will find it helpfull.

Regards

Dheeraj kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) this surely will not work. See here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms378422.aspx

2) in JDBC, the JVM finds a suitable driver the following way:

the DriverManager will ask all loaded drivers if it can handle the connection URL. The first driver which can handle it will win.

So this means, you can load different JDBC driver versions. However, you can not specify explicitly in the comm.channel to select a certain driver.

Probably the SQL Server 2008 driver can also handle SQL Server 2005 connections, but I have not checked that.

CSY

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian

In our scenario , we need to be able to connect to SQL server 2000, server 2005, server 2008 from different communication channels in our XI 3.0 ( SP23) server. Based on what you say , we will not able to specify explicitly the use of these different drivers in the communication channel definitions - even though these drivers are loaded onto the J2EE server of the XI box.

So, does this mean we have to have one of the jdbc drivers that can work with all three versions of the sql servers ? What would be the solution ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek and Christian

Is it possible to have a second adapter engine installed on a J2EE server with a higher JVM version ( enterprise version 5.0 according to Microsoft ) required by SQL 2008 server so that scenarios involving sql 2008 can be routed to the second adapter engine from the integration server. (communication channel setting can be set in such a way that it uses the second adapter engine sitting on the J2EE server with a higher JVM version )