cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster recovery

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I am trying to recover my SAP from an Oracle database backup onto a brand new server.

Previously in 4.7, I will restore and recover the Oracle DB. Thereafter, I will install CI from sapinst. This works fine.

Recently we had upgraded our SAP to NW7.0. I tried to install SCS, recover DB, and lastly, install CI. But this procedure failed. During CI installation, I encountered the error msg: "SecureStore files must be available on Unix". Upon checking, the global/security/data folder is empty.

Can someone advice on the correct procedure to recover SAP Netweaver to a fresh system?

Thanks,

Tzyy Ming

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Surendra,

System copy is not quite what I am looking for. My requirement is to recover from tape. Moreover system copy cannot be scheduled and requires downtime; unlike incremental online backup that can be schedule to run online.

Regards,

Tzyy Ming

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am exploring dataguard too. But currently, my priority is to restore the backup from tape.

My current recovery plan for NW7:

- Install a new SAP system. (including database content with new datafiles)

- Delete datafiles

- Restore backup files from tape

- Recover database

From the steps above, I spend many hours creating the new datafiles and eventually, these datafiles are deleted. This is such a waste. I will like to avoid generating these new datafiles, and hence archiving a shorter recovery time.

Addition info

In R3 4.7, my recovery plan is:

- Install Database application using the database CD (just the application, not the content/data)

- Restore and recover database

- Install CI using sapinst

I am able to recover my SAP system with fewer steps and within a shorter time in 4.7. These steps does not work on NW7 (error mentioned earlier in the thread).

I hope this is clear enough. Any opinions?

Best Regards,

Tzyy Ming

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

You don't need to recover etc ..

For DR just take a system copy and restore to new brand server then

configure DR server ..like standby controlfile,init file etc.

Surendra Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you explain more like what are you doing and what to want.

Read Dataguard document.

http://www.dbazone.com/docs/oracle_10gDataGuard_overview.pdf

Regards

Surendra Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I installed a brand new sap system. Thereafter, I restored my backup onto this new system. And it works!

But this method is not efficient. When installing the new system, a huge amount of time is spend waiting for the database to be populated. I do not need the database populated as it will be overwrite with the backup data. Is there a way to skip/reduce this lengthy process? Or is there a better method for recovery?

Regards,

Tzyy Ming

peter_dzurov
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, I think you will need Java export from time you backed up your source DB as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter, my assumption is that the Java export you are referring is for system copy. But in my scenario, I am trying to simulate a disaster recovery, ie the entire server is lost; export is not possible and I am left with only the database backup on tapes. Any advice?

Best Regards,

Tzyy Ming

peter_dzurov
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, sorry for previus post, I haven't noticed that, please check this link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/e6/e8f4167f79414c883ed37464773824/frameset.htm

Hope that helps.