cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Category Determination during Sales Order Creation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

This is Chee Wee, i'm new to SD, i would like to seek for an advice for the topic related to Item Category in Sales Order.

We have a material "Mat005" define as "Stocked" Item category in MM03,

*Stocked means our MM team will always keep stock for the material.

The document Item category assigned to this "Stocked" are "NoPo" --> No Auto Po creation and "AuPO" --> AutoPo creation.

During the SO creation for Mat005 with Qty50 and warehouse stock availale for 60, i'm wondering when i select the itemCat "AuPO", the system automatic changed to "NoPO", but when i change the order qty to 70, then i'm able to changed the itemcat to "AuPo"!!

Can any Guru advice me what is the actual setting or configuration behind to determine which are the correct Item Category that i can choose?

Thank you very much,

Regards,

Chee Wee

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Whatever item category you maintain under the tab "DfItC" in VOV4, for your sale order type, that will be defaulted in sale order. If you want to change this in sale order, you maintain the same under the tab "MItCa".

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Closed

former_member204513
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Chee Wee,

Basically tem category will determine based on these key combination

Item category group(Material master)+Sales document type(We enter doc type in the creation initial screen)--->Item category

For Example NORM+OR--->TAN.

As per your explanation

I hope In your case stock availability also one of the factor in the item category determination.This might have done some enhancement.

There are two item categories in your process one is "NoPo" --> No Auto Po creation and second one is "AuPO" --> AutoPo creation.

the system automatic changed to "NoPO", but when i change the order qty to 70, then i'm able to changed the itemcat to "AuPo"!!

60 Qty Stock available, you have created sales order for 50 Qt here requirement is less than stock availability so system will not allow you to enter AuPo item category Because there no need of auto PO creation for stock.

When you created sales order for 70 Qty, stock available only 60 so there is shortage of 10 Qty.now system needs to allow to create Auto PO to procure the shortage stock of 10 Qty, so system is allowing you to enter Yaupon item category.

There might be some work around kind take help of ABAPer to get the more details about your item category determination.

I hope this will help you,

Regards,

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Both,

Can i know where is the configuration or setting for the stock availability check?

Thank you very much,

Regards,

Chee Wee

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Availability check in sale order will happen based on your schedule line category. So first check what schedule line category is flowing in your sale order. Next go to VOV6, select your schedule line category and execute. There tick the box against "Availability".

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Item categories are defined to provide additional control functions for the sales documents and thus meet the demands resulting from different business transactions.The system uses an item category to process a material differently in each sales document type.Depending on the sales document type, different item categories are allowed. The item categories can also be adapted using control elements to meet the special requirements of your installation.

Determining the Item Category

The item category in the sales document depends on the sales document type and the material.

Item Category Determination

The system uses the item category group field of the material master record as the main

indicator to determine the item category in the sales order. The system uses this field in combination with the sales document type. It is these two indicators plus an indicator setting the usage of the item category (for example, is this item a text item), plus an indicator determining if another higher-level item exists that will determine the item category in the sales order document.

Regards