cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle installation with 2 instance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We had one instance installed on the system. We are now installing the new instance for CE 71 on hp with oracle.

The database installation is conplete, and SAP installation is still in progress.

While running the OUA, the runInstaller gave me

1) issues with the permission mode of /oracle/oraInventory (orainst.loc, oraInstroot.sh and locks directory). I did change the permissions and continued with the DB installation.

2) When runInstaller asked me to run root.sh, it asked for the local path of the bin directory (usr/local/bin, which had files for oraenv, dbhome and coraenv for new user ora<OLDSID>).

I specified it as a new folder /usr/local/newbin (where it created the files for oraenv, dbhome and coraenv for new user ora<NEWSID>)

Could you please create let me know whether I followed a wrong step? Also, is there a need to add the new directory to /usr/local/newbin to path?

please advise.

Thanks,

Antarpreet

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We had one instance installed on the system. We are now installing the new instance for CE 71 on hp with oracle.

> The database installation is conplete, and SAP installation is still in progress.

Did you read the installation guide? Usually your start with sapinst and start the installation. SApinst stops and request you to install the database using the script RUNINSTALLER (you don't use runInstaller or DBCA or other Oracle tools) and then you move on with the installation.

If you follow all those steps it's not necessary to adapt any environments or to change settings.

This is thoroughly described in the installation guide.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I exactly followed the installation guide, but the guide does not talks anything about the installation of SAP on host where one instance already exists. I am specifically asking about what is the best way to deal with oraInst.loc and OraInventory.

Thanks,

Antarpreet

nikolay_kumanov
Explorer
0 Kudos

I have seen the OraInventory problem. The directory is created by the first installation with no group write permissions, so the second installation cannot write to it. Making everything writable by the dba group is the solution. As for the /usr/local/bin, the scripts there are SID independent, so it is OK to have just one directory for all the installations. I usually let root.sh overwrite them when installing a higher release or patch set.

Also, you have to choose whether to run with two listeners or just one. Having two listeners makes the instances more independent, but for the second sapinst you have to specify a different listener port. Having one listener is possible, but requires some small manual adjustments - see note 98252.