cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Running SAP GUI 7.20

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi-

I tried installing the SAP GUI 7.20, but I encountered some issues running it. The installation process ran fine and said it finished successfully, but the logon pad will not start up. When I tried to start it, I see the SAP intro screen for a second, then it disappears and nothing else happens. I check the task manager, and no processes seemed to start on my PC, either.

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise Edition.

I first tried installing 7.20 on top of a 7.10 patch 17 GUI. When that didn't work, I re-installed 7.10 patch 17, then I un-installed it - thinking I missed that step the first time. I then installed 7.20 again. The 1st time I tried to run it I received a Windows message for an "abnormal program termination". From that point on, the behavior was as I mentioned above.

Any ideas?

Thanks and Regards,

Mark

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mark,

from my point of view it looks like an installation issue with the vcredist mis package...

So please look into the log file from the installation

(NWSAPSETUP.log) if you can find some error lines

"2E"

Please tell me some of the errors in the log file...

But i think it is the best way when you open an Message in OSS in BC-FES-INS.

Best regards

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK - I have tried both of the new suggestions.

I "disabled" the security after installing 7.20. This did not change the results.

Then, I installed Patch 1 which was released last week. I got a new error that SAPLGNUI.DLL was missing. I found it in the 7.20 core installation and restored it. Then it went back to the same "abnormal error" message.

I also checked all of the installation logs, and I did not see any "2E" errors.

Yes I should open an OSS note. I will get to it once some of the projects around here simmer down...

Thanks.

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

I got the same error first, the reason for this was that we are using a central saplogon.ini file located on a read-only share and when you start SAP Logon it tries to create a xml file "SapLogonTree.xml" in the same directory as saplogon.ini and that failed.

Work-around:

Remove enviroment variable SAPLOGON_INI_FILE

copy the saplogon.ini file to %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\SAP\Common

It should now work to start SAP Logon

after SAP logon has started you should now see the file SapLogonTree.xml in %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\SAP\Common

Copy that file to the same directory as your central saplogon.ini and reset the enviroment variable SAPLOGON_INI_FILE.

To create a own system tree in saplogon make sure to do this when SAPLOGON_INI_FILE is not set to a read-only location.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply! I am pretty sure this is my issue.

I used a virtual machine to install 7.20 and the issue did not replicate.

I just need to adjust the settings on my local machine to follow through.

Thanks for the insight!

-Mark

martin_dahm
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

it seems to be a problem with the authorizations, because we had the same error, but it occours not with admin rights.

We changed the properties from the SAPLOGON "C:\Program Files\SAP\SapSetup\setup\SAL\SapLogon.s8l" to "C:\Program Files\SAP\FrontEnd\SAPgui\saplogon.exe resp "C:\Program Files\SAP\FrontEnd\SAPgui\saplgpad.exe

best regards

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Martin,

Thanks for the info. It did seem to go a little further than last time. I did not get the same run time error, but sadly, the intro screen appears for a split second and disappears (still).

I was able to use some desktop shortcuts that brought up the logon screen, but after entering my credentials - nothing happens.

In both cases, no processes are started on my PC.

We do have a .INI file that is used globally across the company to ensure that only systems a user needs appear in the Logon Pad. Has the .INI file changed formats from 7.10 to 7.20 and could it be affecting my Logon Pad? I wouldn't think it would affect the desktop shortcuts, though.

If anyone else has a suggestions please let me know.

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mark,

Please launch the SAP GUI Configuration from Start -> All Programs -> SAP Front End . Once launched, go to Security -> Security Settings. Change the Status on the right pane from 'Customised' to 'Disabled'. It should work.

Regards,

Mahathir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. So - I uninstalled my SAP GUI 7.10. Then I went in and cleaned out the registry. After reinstalling, it still didn't work.

The message was from "Microsoft C++ Libraries", so I went and uninstalled all of the C++ libraries on my PC with SAP as an author (which was all of them).

I then re-installed 7.20 again - and I still got the "Abnormal Program Termination" message.

Any other advice?

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos

Generally I have found when install issues arise with the SAP GUI you need to do a thorough uninstall of the product, and look at the installation logs in the SapSetup folder for clues , extreme cases require deletion of folders, registry entries etc.