cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to generate heapdump.phd file in IBM AIX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Please help me by answering a few questions about the heapdump.phd file in IBM AIX 5.3

I have to generate the heapdump.phd file in IBM AIX manually. I did some research and read some threads here but could not find the exact solution for that. I have read note1259465 which has heading as generating the heapdump file but contains the content for generating the system dump file by killing the process id of j2ee node kill -3 <j2ee node PID> . I also read the note 1004255 which gives the method for generating the heapdump in SUN or HP-UX.

Please help me by providing the exact procedure of generating the heapdump.phd file . Also the file requested by SAP during memory crash is heapdump file or the system dump file?

Regards,

Pankaj

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Both,

Thanks for your quick responses. Please let me know if the procedure to generate the heapdump is same for both HP-UX and IBM AIX i.e by killing the j2ee node PID and also tell me if there is any different method also for doing this

Thanks,

Pankaj Pabreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anil,

I have read those notes also. These refer to create the heapdump of format hprof on HP_UX butr I am looking for creating it on IBM AIX with extension .phd

Thanks,

Pankaj

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Starting with Java SDK 1.4.2 SR1, the default heapdump format has changed. The default format for a heapdump will be portable heap dump format and the file will have an *.phd extension. As most of the time to produce a heapdump file is spent in writing the file to the disk, it is very likely that by using the PHD format we will be able to make the entire process faster. This was made possible by using a Java DataOutputStream class which allows the output of Java primitive data types in a portable binary format.

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you refer sap note 710146 & 1053604.

Thanks

Anil