cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from AIX6.1 to Solaris x64

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In our organisation, we are planning to migrate from AIX6.1 to Solaris x64. The processor which we'll be using is UltraSPARC+IV processor. I need clarification for below mentioned points.

1. Which guide to refer for moving the SAP System from AIX6.1 to Solaris

2. Is UltraSPARC+IV processor is supported for Oracle 10g

Also, please let me know the steps to be followed for the activity mentioned above.

Regards,

Ranjith

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> In our organisation, we are planning to migrate from AIX6.1 to Solaris x64. The processor which we'll be using is UltraSPARC+IV processor.

Well - I think you're mixing a few things up here.

Solaris x64 refers to Solaris on the Intel or the AMD processor (x64 == x86_64 == AMD64)

UltraSPARC IV+ refers to a CPU developed by Sun (now Oracle).

> 1. Which guide to refer for moving the SAP System from AIX6.1 to Solaris

There are no specific guides for OS migrations. You use the heterogeneous system copy approach. However, migrating a database and/or operating system requires a certified migration consultant on-site doing the migration. If you do it yourself you'll loose support from SAP for problems during the migration and for the target system (see http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration).

> 2. Is UltraSPARC+IV processor is supported for Oracle 10g

Yes. Solaris 10 on SPARC Is supported.

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ranjith,

Here you need to check two things.

First thing is if you are going to migrate the system with out disturbing the existing one,

then you can use the heterogeneous system copy. So that you will not to bother about the system even if you got the errors. As your current setup is going to be the same.

For your second point..oracle will check for the OS compatibility not based on the processor. If you can able to install the Solaris on that processor then you have to check the compatibility with the SOLARISG and Oracle 10G. If that supports you can go ahead.

I think definitely oracle will support Solaris ( recently sun has the collaboration with Oracle so definitely oracle will support solaris )

Thanks,

Chaitanya,

+919994901744.