cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help in upgrading SolMan 7.0 stack 16 to 7.0 EHP 1 stack 20

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all,

i need to upgrade Solution Manager 7.0 stack 16 to 7.0 EHP1 stack 20.

my current SPAM/SAINT version is 7.00/36. do i need to update it to 7.01/36 before I can begin the upgrade?

also, i found a sapnote (1169247) but i am confused.

my current version of kernel is release 700 level 201.

do i need to update it to release 701 level 39 manually?

in sapnote 1169247, it only includes abap stack.

does this mean it if I upgrade SolMan release 7.0 to 7.0 EHP stack 20, i dont need to upgrade my java?

these are all in preparation for the installation of SAP TAO 2.0

please shed light.

thanks in advanced!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

One big difference in ABAP stack update after ENH1 is that use of SPAM is largely replaced with use of SAINT and xml file from MOPZ or OSS stack application.

For example to get from ABAP stack 16 to ABAP stack 17, one runs SPAM with a number of queues (larger than 1) to get to ABAP stack 17. (ie multiple runs of SPAM).

To get from ABAP stack 17 to ABAP stack 20 (after replacing kerenel 700 with 701 and applying latest SPAM update) one runs SAINT with exactly one queue defined via xml or created manually by including all updates and support packages.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

here's what I plan to do for the upgrade:

1 Update Java stack to SPS17 (including IGS) via JSPM.This step is a prereq.

2 Update Java stack to EHP1 (including IGS) via JSPM. Time = 3-4 hours

3 Update SPAM/SAINT patch level to latest release.

4 Update Kernel to 7.01 patch level 39.

5 Install EHP1 via SAINT on ABAP stack.

is this correct?

i've found several sapnotes regarding this but they're all very confusing.

this is my first time to perform this activity

please help.

thanks!

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Geunrisse,

You likely want to upgrade the Java and ABAP to SP 17 first. Then upgrade to a higher SP, this is the recommended way.

Also don't forget to apply the SAP Central Note for the SP level before upgrading to the next SP level, even though Solman_Setup will prompt you to apply the central note, sometimes customers put it off, but just remember to aplly it before going to the next higher SP and of course the one for the higher SP.

Hopefully you will find this information helpful.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi paul,

let me reiterate the steps I need to follow according to what I understand from what you said:

1. update kernel to release 7.0 level 201

2. update SPAM/SAINT to version 7.0/36

3. Update JAVA stack from SAP solman 7.0 sp16 to 7.0 sp17.

4. Upgrade ABAP stack from SAP solman 7.0 sp16 to 7.0 sp17.

5. update kernel release from 7.0/201 to 7.01 level 39?

6. update SPAM/SAINT from 7.0/36 to 7.01/37?

7. update JAVA stack from SAP SolMan 7.0 Sp 17 to SAP SolMan 7.01 SP 20?

8. update ABAP stack from SAP SolMan 7.0 Sp 17 to SAP SolMan 7.01 SP 20?

am i correct?

does the upgrade from sp17 to EHP1 sp20 follow the same rules as the normal patching?

please provide guidance.

thanks!

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Geunrisse,

I think you are trying to over simplify the process. There are a number of things that need to be taken into consideration.

SAP has prepared a number of upgrade guides that go into great detail about the upgrade process, and lists Notes that need to be referenced. For instance, the keyword you need to specify to start the upgrade. When you start the upgrade, you are asked to enter a keyword which you can find in the current general Upgrade Note 1276895 for SAP Solution Manager 7.0. You cannot start the upgrade until you have entered the keyword.

My best advice is do not shortcut. Download the relevent upgrade guide and use that as your reference. This is the best

advice I can offer you. The following link will nagivate you to the upgrade documentation for Solution Manager.

https://websmp208.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_SCENARIO=01100035870000000202&_SHORTKEY=002007974700000659...

Then select the Release and down load the upgrade guide for your OS/DB.

The only things I find that are not always clearly stated is that if you are at any release below SP17, you must first upgrade to SP17. Then from SP17 you can go directly to any higher SP, or up to SP22 which is the most current SP released.

It is also best practice to Upgrade the ABAP and JAVA stacks in tandem. Other than that I would refence and follow the Upgrade guides on the SAP Service Portal.

Regards,

Paul

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Geunrisse,

The correct upgrade path from Solution Manager 7.0 SP 16 to EHP1 SP 20 is SP 16 -> SP 17 -> SP 20.

You cannot go directly from SP 16 to SP 20. You must first upgrade to SP 17. From SP 17 you can go directly to any SP level from 18 - 22. I hope you find this information helpful.

Regards,

Paul

Miguel_Ariño
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Have you referred to the Master guide in http://service.sap.com/instguides -> Solution Manager ?

The master guide will lead you to the right guide depending on the upgrade scenario that you want to run.

I hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Miguel Ariñ