cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple database instance on one server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts

We are planning to implement ERP, BI, Solman, CRM and MDSD on windows/oracle platform. There is an idea about system landscape that all database instance of production systems are installed on one server and central instances of each system are installed on separate servers. Is there any performance or maintenance risk about this scenario? What is the advanteges and disadvantages of this landscape? Shall we prefer central system installation?

I'm waiting for your recommandation.

Best Regards...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

one production server, use only 1 instance at a time.

on other such as DEV/QAS,TST, you can use multiple instances per servers. but these instances will use the same resources, so, if instance#1 is being used heavily, instance #2 will also suffer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I cannot recomend this because using MCOD in productive systems then will create the problem that when DB needs to be tuned up or configured or a new patch set is necesary you will take down ALL your systems!!, in terms of performance if hardware is strong enough it could handle it but I don't see the point of installing Solman in this schema or MDSD because this are rather small databases specially MDSD, Solman will growth depending on what you are using but they are not huge.

Why they are using such an approach?? what are the advantages they saw on it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

There is no MCOD solution in this architecture. Suggestion is different databases and also different database instances if needed one one windows 2008 server.

Hardware vendor suggest this because of good tuning and effecient system landscape. But I'm not sure about performans and maintenance issues.

Best Regards...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

From experience one disadvantage in having an Oracle farm, is if the server plays up

or needs a reboot you of course lose all the systems databases.

Also getting all customers to aggree a maintenance slot together can be a pain.

Failover needs to be considered, DR also.

IMHO separate servers, but that is my preference I'm sure there are advantages.

Mark