Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reg Back in Browser

former_member186491
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have one view that contains ALV with one of it's column as hyperlink. This hyperlinked column gives drill-down facility.

Now, I need to provide coming back from drill-down view to ALV view. Can this be possible only using Plugs? If Back function of Browser can not be used? If Back function can be used, how can that happen?

Please guide.

Thanks.

Kumar Saurav.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>Can this be possible only using Plugs?

Plugs are the correct way to perform navigation within Web Dynpro. If you are running in the Portal or NWBC and want to do cross application navigation you can also consider using the Portal APIs for Object or Absolute Navigation.

You can not use the back button. It is techically disabled. Web Dynpro is a stateful application. This alone generally means that the back and forward navigation of the browser can't be used. Also the way we build updates to the page is technically complex. We use JavaScript to inject the changes dynamically. Therefore no navigation has occured as far as the browser is concerned.

If you need such navigation, you should build it into the application itself using the breadcrumb, buttons, etc and fire navigation plugs.

former_member186491
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for giving me such details. I have one more query. If Browser is being injected with Java codes dynamically, that means if at all, I'm providing plugs to navigate to ALV View then ALV with previous data would not be there...? Then, in that case, I'd have to run the query again to get ALV populated..? If so, don't you feel that this would attract extra load on server to pass same set of data..?

However, in my case, I can visualize that one extra window can be incorporated to hold Drill-Down report from ALV-View - so that if any other link from ALV is required to be clicked, it remains there without an overhead on Server. Am I correct..?

Need your suggestion.

Thanks.

Kumar Saurav.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>I'm providing plugs to navigate to ALV View then ALV with previous data would not be there...?

Be where? Is your ALV view bound to the same component controller context node - then there is no need to re-read the data. WD is always stateful, so navigation doesn't necessarily meaning having to requery the data.

>so that if any other link from ALV is required to be clicked, it remains there without an overhead on Server. Am I correct..?

I'm not following what you are describing.

former_member186491
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

My fault for using such words, sorry for that.

Actually, the scenario is -- One View is there to hold ALV for Invoice Numbers and other related data. Invoice_No is made as Link to read the Clicks on it. If any of the Invoice_No is clicked, respective PDF for that Invoice gets opened. Presently, ALV is getting open in the same View which is also being used to open PDF.

Hence, my concern is, if at all, I make any Button to handle BACK event, then can it be possible that if PDF is opened on that same view and user wants to see other available Invoice_No then he/she can press the BACK button and get that ALV with previous set of data back..? So that other Invoice_No can be clicked to open respective PDF as many times as desired by the User..?

Please suggest.

Thanks.

Kumar Saurav.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

As said Web Dynpro is stateful. Default functionality is that Views stay alive even when not visible. Of course if the data is in the component contoller, it stays alive throughout the entire session of the WDA application.

former_member186491
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for clarifying my doubt.

Thanks.

Kumar Saurav.