cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access Universe Designer!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

I am unable to access the Universe Designer tool (BOBJ XI 3.1). I am a student at CSU Chico and need to work on a few assignments. The server I access for BO is Monaco.

So the error which I am getting when I use monaco as the system to connect to is as follows :

[repo_proxy 13] SessionFacade::openSessionLogon with user info has failed(CMS host 'monaco' cannot be found on the network. Please verify the name and that network name resolution is working properly.

(hr=#0x80042a01)

And the error which I am getting when I use monaco.cob.csuchico.edu:6400 is as follows:

[repo_proxy 13] SessionFacade::openSessionLogon with user info has failed(Transport error: Communication failure.(FWM 00001)

(hr=#0x80042a01)

And when I use monaco.cob.csuchico.edu:8080 then I encounter the following:

[repo_proxy 13] SessionFacade::openSessionLogon with user info has failed(CMS host 'monaco.cob.csuchico.edu' cannot be found on the network. Please verify the name and that network name resolution is working properly.

(hr=#0x80042a01)

I even installed the VPN and tried but didn't work. But I am unsure about the procedure to connect with the VPN though. I use the VPN to connect to my University wireless basically and then I try to connect to the aforementioned systems....

Could someone please guide me through? I would really really really appreciate your time and consideration!

Thanks and Regards,

Akshay Thussu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member793810
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I assume that you have installed Designer on your machine and now trying to access you Database.

Are you on the same network on which your machine is at the time of connection?

You said that you installed VPN but it did not work. This shows that you are not on corporate network and trying to acces the Database so that you may create a Universe.

If this is the case then you will have to establish VPN connection first and then launch Desinger and it will let you connect.

But if you are already on corporate network then there is not neet for VPN and you need to check the lo in setting.

Bashir Awan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have installed BO XI 3.1 (all the tools). I did try it with 3.0 as well. Didn't work.

"Are you on the same network on which your machine is at the time of connection?"

please elucidate on the aforementioned a tad bit more.

Yes I am not on any corporate network but on university's network. And if both mean the same then I am on a network be it corp or univ.

What's a corp network? How diff is it from a univ network if they both ain't the same? I don't get it..It's kinda boring to have so many hurdles in ones way b4 one could actually work on relevant stuff. Half of my time since the past few months has been officially spent on compatibility, authorizations, service packs, validations, MS related issues, so on and so forth. BEx seems way smooth.

I don't know if its the monetary benefits which has given rise to so many steps and involvement of third parties or my dumbness to be speaking of it here but its way too complicated for the simplest task at hand a.k.a Data Analysis.

Xcelsius, WebI, or CR neither of them required a VPN...so why UD? How come security became an issue all of a sudden with our SAP's Universe when the real universe is devoid of it???

Thank you very much for your help Sir! I have a lot against the kind of functionality which we see around us on a daily level! I could live a regular life like most of us around us who are subdued by the pressure of the society and precedence but I don't intend to. I am just inquisitive to know more about stuff and at a very fundamental level. Technical terms be it here or in the business world have a stigma associated with them for e.g. "Interviews"...why can we not call them "Conversations" ..in any case even God won't be able to figure out a new hire within a matter of hours or a week or 3-5 years at max...Things aren't as hard as we all have made them sound...this scares fresh minds around us and monopolizes the system for the ones who consider themselves elite...nyways I can go on and on..I hope you find all of what I've mentioned a bit sensible and take it all with a pinch of salt...hahaha....I am just too passionate about SAP BI and can't stand things going wrong. This is second nature to me.

Thanks for your patience. I will be talking to the SAP Basis team on campus on Monday for the Nth time...Well one of the person there does not use a VPN to connect to the UD..but he works on the hosting center. I don't know he might be authorized to access some of the server ports unlike me. So yes, I shall double check with them. And take this problem to them.

"If this is the case then you will have to establish VPN connection first " by this did you mean that I need to create a new VPN Connection Entry? If yes then I do not know what all is to be filled in after I click on create new VPN connection entry!!

Thank you so much!

Edited by: Akshay Thussu on Apr 24, 2010 4:13 AM

former_member793810
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here is a document about universe designer...

Have a look at this.

[http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir31/en/xi3-1_designer_en.pdf]

Bashir Awan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much.

It had no mention of VPN or the connectivity which I require. I searched for the relevant keywords through the pdf's search tab.

As far as UD is concerned I checked out Ingo Hilgefort's webinar a year back and wrote down every word mentioned in that webinar in my notebook. So I might use that for working on it.

Your resource will be of help for sure. Thanks!

On a side note: The other day I was listening to a bunch of top notch motivational speakers on a specific website. One of the speakers mentioned that the problems with Ghana (A country located in West Africa) are not pertaining to lack of resources but that of resourcefulness. According to the 2009 Failed States Index, Ghana is ranked the 53rd least failed state in the world and the second least failed state in Africa after Mauritius. Ghana ranked 124th out of 177 countries on the index.

Just felt like sharing. No harm!

Regards,

Akshay Thussu

Answers (0)