Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indexes Creation on MaxDB Database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

How do I create a index in MaxDB?

Do I use SQLCLI to do that? Can anyone provide me the list of steps? Is there any doc or syntax?

Please note that, I have to create indexes in MaxDB as per SAP OSS Note 1310364, on several columns in several tables.

Thanks in advance of your valuable inputs.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> How do I create a index in MaxDB?

> Do I use SQLCLI to do that? Can anyone provide me the list of steps? Is there any doc or syntax?

Yes, you may use sqlcli or SQL Studio or DB Studio to run the SQL commands for creating the indexes.

And of course the syntax is explained in full detail in the MaxDB documentation (http://maxdb.sap.com/documentation).

Search for "create index" there.

There's really not much to fail with there.

It's pretty much always:

create index <index_name> on <table_name> (<column_1>, <column_2>, ....)

> Please note that, I have to create indexes in MaxDB as per SAP OSS Note 1310364, on several columns in several tables.

Anyhow - you're using MaxDB in a NetWeaver environment.

Therefore you should define the indexes in the NetWeaver data dictionary and create them on the database by activating them.

If you're unsure how to do that, just do as the note proposes and ask your DBA.

If (s)he does not know how to do that - get a new DBA

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Lars,

Please note that we are using AS JAVA in our environment. And MaxDB is our AS JAVA Database. We do not have ABAP Stack.

You have mentioned that "you're using MaxDB in a NetWeaver environment.Therefore you should define the indexes in the NetWeaver data dictionary and create them on the database by activating them"

How do I activate indexes in Netweaver data dictionary in a AS JAVA Environment?

Thanks,

Haleem

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> How do I activate indexes in Netweaver data dictionary in a AS JAVA Environment?

I know that I tend to be extreme on this point, but searching and reading the product documentation really does help...

[SAP Library - Using Java - Creating Indexes|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp2/helpdata/en/cc/7c58b369022e46b629bdd93d705c8c/content.htm]

cheers,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Lars,

So what is understand from help URL is that these MaxDB indexes are created on AS JAVA Database through DBMGUI tool, as seen below

Prerequisites

You have opened a table for edit.

Procedure

1. Choose the Indexes tab.

2. To create an index, choose New.

3. Enter a name for the index. Index names, like table names, also have a prefix, followed by an underscore.

If the name of an index was registered on the name server, it cannot be deleted.

4. To select table fields, choose New.

5. if the index is a unique index,

6. If the index is used for all databases, choose and whether it is to be created for all databases. Choose the appropriate checkboxes.

7. Choose File® Save All Metadata.

Can you please let me know, about the name server?

Also I wanted to know, if I execute a script to create indexes on SQLCLI, will that we sufficient?

OR

Additionally I will have to perform the above 7 DBMGUI activities, after I am done with create index through SQLCLI.

Thanks once again for your kind help.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> So what is understand from help URL is that these MaxDB indexes are created on AS JAVA Database through DBMGUI tool, as seen below

> Also I wanted to know, if I execute a script to create indexes on SQLCLI, will that we sufficient?

> OR

> Additionally I will have to perform the above 7 DBMGUI activities, after I am done with create index through SQLCLI.

Excuse me, but where in this part of the documentation do you find DBMGUI or SQLCLI mentioned?

Please don't miss the complete chapter of the documentation.

The link I pasted was a direct pointer to a specific page of the documentation - but you need to read the full chapter "Developing Java Persistence - Java Dictionary - Tables" to get all information about the tool to use.

When reading the documentation you'll find a little icon next to each pages title. (it's a blue/white rectangle with red arrows in it).

Click this icon to reveal the documentation chapter navigation on the left part of the page.

Concerning the sufficiency - for MaxDB it would be OK just to create the indexes on DB level, but I assume that you also want to deploy them to the production system. And for that you'll need to put them into the Java dictionary.

regards,

Lars

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> So what is understand from help URL is that these MaxDB indexes are created on AS JAVA Database through DBMGUI tool, as seen below

> Also I wanted to know, if I execute a script to create indexes on SQLCLI, will that we sufficient?

> OR

> Additionally I will have to perform the above 7 DBMGUI activities, after I am done with create index through SQLCLI.

Excuse me, but where in this part of the documentation do you find DBMGUI or SQLCLI mentioned?

Please don't miss the complete chapter of the documentation.

The link I pasted was a direct pointer to a specific page of the documentation - but you need to read the full chapter "Developing Java Persistence - Java Dictionary - Tables" to get all information about the tool to use.

When reading the documentation you'll find a little icon next to each pages title. (it's a blue/white rectangle with red arrows in it).

Click this icon to reveal the documentation chapter navigation on the left part of the page.

Concerning the sufficiency - for MaxDB it would be OK just to create the indexes on DB level, but I assume that you also want to deploy them to the production system. And for that you'll need to put them into the Java dictionary.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Lars. I have awarded you 16 points.

Answers (0)