cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel Patch questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry but it has been a while. After reading all the kernel threads, I still have a few kernel patch questions.

1) Sequencing - Does it matter what sequence I apply all the patches? Alphabetic order? Date sequence? Always finish with DW?

2) Versioning info - some commands have a -v parameter to tell what version you currently have. Some don't. Is there some way to find out versioning info for all potential patches?

3) Marketplace - I see there is a "complete" kernel on the marketplace now (albeit in two parts). However it's never current. It looks like the hot setup to download that and patch that and then slip that in. Does everyone agree with that assessment?

4) Yes, I know the truly hot setup would be to contract with Volker to get s fully patched CD but since we were stuck on 4.0B for so long, I haven't had a chance to keep my skills up to date. This looks like a good opportunity.

Thanks,

Rick

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi my friend

I assume you're referring to how to load new 700 kernel since you didn't mention. Here's the steps listed below, for details you could find in Note 912575 - iSeries: Using LODSAPKRN to load a 7.00 kernel

1. Download the latest SAPEXE.SAR, SAPEXEDB.SAR and IGSEXE.SAR from SWDC.

2. Create a directory in IFS and put 3 SAR files there, create a stream file called "parts" with content below:

SAPEXE.SAR,

SAPEXEDB.SAR,

IGSEXE.SAR,

P.S: I opt this way to patch IGS myself because it's more convenient, the formal IGS patching is introduced in

Note 937000 - iSeries: Installing and patching the IGS

3. Log on as QSECOFR or equivalent user (in 912575 it says SIDADM, which could lead to lack of authorization sometimes), and run command:

LODSAPKRN DEV(STMF) MNTPNT('<dir>') KRNLIB(<kernel library>) USERDEF(YES) LIST('<dir>/parts')

4. Stop SAP system and then remove old kernel:

RMVSAP SID(<SID>) DLTKRNLIB(*NO)

5. Change the library list (EDTLIBL) and replace the old kernel library with the new 7.00 kernel library.

6. Activate the new 7.00 kernel:

APYSAP TYPE(*KERNEL) SID(<SID>) DSTLIB(<new kernel library>)

7. Delete all SQL packages: DLTR3PKG SID(<SID>)

then start SAP system

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fan,

Thanks but this part I have. I am wondering about patching once I get to that point and if there is an optimal sequence for the patches (i.e. APYSAP, DW, TP, R3LOAD, etc.) I guess I would insert steps 3.a, 3.b, etc. something like so:

3.a APYR3FIX SID(<SID>) SAVF(R3FIX700A/APYSAP) SAVLIB(GEN700AOPT) KRNLIB(<kernel library>) GETSAVF(*NO)

3.b APYR3FIX SID(<SID>) SAVF(R3FIX700A/CHKR3PTF) SAVLIB(GEN700AOPT) KRNLIB(<kernel library>) GETSAVF(*NO)

3.c APYR3FIX SID(<SID>) SAVF(R3FIX700A/DW) SAVLIB(GEN700AOPT) KRNLIB(<kernel library>) GETSAVF(*NO)

etc. to end of patch save files. Is there an optimal sequence for all these patch files?

I forget the exact numbers but the current "full" kernel patch is at level 236 and the DW patch is at level 251. I figured I might as well patch all the up to "truly" current (251 in this example) if I'm going to do this. Then resume above at step 4. Does that makes sense?

Thanks,

Rick

Edited by: Rick Githens on Apr 22, 2010 3:03 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Is there an optimal sequence for all these patch files?

No sequence required at all.

> I forget the exact numbers but the current "full" kernel patch is at level 236 and the DW patch is at level 251. I figured I might as well patch all the up to "truly" current (251 in this example) if I'm going to do this. Then resume above at step 4. Does that makes sense?

If you patch single kernel program individually when needed, you don't have to remove the whole kernel library and apply again, just stop the system and run:

APYSAP TYPE(KERNEL) SID(<SID> ) DSTLIB(<kernellib>) CLEANUP(YES)

It saves you one step so you don't have to watch and wait, but behind the scene it's the same procedure which is removing and reapplying.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Please be aware that if you are loading a 700 kernel (or 701 - see Sally's post at the top of the first page), and you are 2 tier, and you put on LIB_DBSL patch 239 ..... then make sure you put this parameter in your instance profile before you restart SAP.

dbs/db4/connect_type = L

Otherwise, you may suffer poor performance - DB average response time 3 times what you are used in one case, and Database access sequential read time and all other measures similarly bad.

Good luck.

And why hasn't a new LIB_DBSL fix been issued yet ? This patch is still on the SAP Portal since January, with no warning that I could see until I saw Sally's post (THANX!) An excellent advertisement for this forum. I will try to visit more often....

cheers,

Michael