Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In-Process Inspection

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Gang,

I have a quick question.

We as a company are doing In-Process inspection. We are ok with it being non-stock relevant.

I noticed that on an Inspection Plan there is a type 1 usage "Production" you can set on the header. But, can't you just add Master Inspection Characteristics to a Master Recipe or Routing and just put "03 Inspection Lot" on the Material Master?

What is the difference between creating an Inspection Lot type "1 - Production" and just putting the MICs right on the Recipes?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

04 Inspection type used when you are doing GRN of material which produce inhouse .lot get generated which is stock posting relavent.for that you need to cretae inspection plan.

01 inspectiontype used when u r doing GRN of material external procurrement.

Where as 03 inspection type is inprocess which is used to inspect your product during production,, it is very usefull in process industry ,In process industry u always require to check certain paramter ib between process where stock posting is not relavent.

You are doing inprocess to just ensure quality of product during process.

For that u need to insert MIC in routing or recipe.

Regards

SANIL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for your quick replies.

Only question I have left is that I thought an "04 Lot" is a Good Receipt of a Process Order. If so, why wouldn't my Inspection plan have a Type 5 Usage - Goods Receipt? Then on the Material Master put 04 Lot Type.

Is this right? If so, what would "Usage Type 1" on the Inspection Plan be for again?

Thanks again.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As I mentioned earlier, the usages are configurable to the inspection types.

01 usage is often associated with 04 lots.

05 usage, (goods receipt) is often associated with 05 inspection types, (misc Goods receipt)

Sometimes 05 usage is also linked to 01 inspection lots, (GR from a purchase order).

Sometimes 05 usage is linked to the 04 inspection type.

Sometimes 05 usage is linkedt to the 04 inspection type, the 01 inspection type and the 89 inspection type.

That could cause problems however if you have a material that you might both purchase and make if you inspect differently depending if you make the product or purchase it say from a toller.

It all depends.

Any given inspection type can only have one usage assigned to it.

Any usage can be assigned to as many inspection types as desired.

There is not neccesarily a one-to-one relationship between a usage and an inspection type. It is simply how you want to configure it. You can add usages, so in theory, you can have a different usage for each inspection type that uses inspection plans. Which would mean of course that you would have to create a separate inspection plan for every inspection type.

In practice though, you might have the same usage linked to multipe inspection types so you don't have to maintain a bunch more plans. For instance, often times, whatever usage is assigned to the 04 inspection type, (often an 01 usage) is also assigned to the 89 inspection type so a manual inspection lot can be created for a finished good using the same plan you would use to approve the material.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Only question I have left is that I thought an "04 Lot" is a Good Receipt of a Process Order. If so, why wouldn't my Inspection plan have a Type 5 Usage - Goods Receipt? Then on the Material Master put 04 Lot Type.

Is this right? If so, what would "Usage Type 1" on the Inspection Plan be for again?

THis actuallly not corrct .

Usage 5 is for GR (this GR is not from production but from receiving after purchase order)

Usage 1 is for production.

Now this is actually customization which is default by SAP but can be changed.You can have your own way to define usage.

But its always better to go with SAP default as SAP support the same.

Also explore universal usage like "3". this can be universally used if you define same in customization of insection type creation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear BruceMcKeldin,

You are mixing with in Inspection type and Usage,

For In Process inspection (03 Insp Type) you should always use Mater recepie / Routing, assign '1 Usage' and assign characteristics here at routing it will work.

GR / Final inspection (04 Insp type) is only used when you do GR, so this can't be used during In process. For using this Insp type you should use '5 usage'. You have to make Quality plan with 'Usage 5' and assign MIC's in quality plan itself.

This Inspection type and usage combination is maintained in QM customizing so it will work this way only.

No need to maintain Quality plan with usage 1, instead maintain everything at routing.

Best Regards,

Shekhar

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bruce,

Most the additional replies are repeats of what I already posted.

There is no problem in changing the configuration to set up the usages however you want to use them. There is no SAP support issue as it is fully expected that a client will be assigning usages to their inspection types as required for their business. Yes, they deliver the system with certain usages predefined to certain inspection types but the vast majority of clients modify these assignments for their own use.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Everyone.

That was a big help!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would just through one light here ,When you are putting Usage "1" in header ,the inpection plan you create ....it is used for production.

You can not actually create routing without usage.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The inspection plan is not used for 03 inspections. Only the receipe interacts with 03 inspection lot. Therefore if you are using 03 lots, you must place the characteristics in the receipes.

04 Inspection lots will utilize an inspection plan. An 04 lot is typically created when you do a goods receipt against the process order. I.e. you have completed and made the material. It is at this time that the 04 lot is created, and reads the inspection plan with the usage, (1-production in your case probably) that is assigned to the inspection type. Since you can config which task list usage is assigned to which inspection types, you might not find a 1 usage used at all implementations.

You can have the 04 inspection lot created when the process order is released by selecting "early lot creation" in the 04 inspection type set up in the material master. Some places use this to keep in-process testing and finished product testing all together in one inspection lot. This isn't a bad idea when all testing, (in-process and finished product testing), are all performed by the same lab. Separate 03 and 04's often work better when you have plant operators doing testing and recording data while a central lab or group is responsible for final finished product testing.

The 04 lot is stock relevant while the 03 is not.

I hope this helps.

FF