Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 11.2 support for Linux on power

esi
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear community,

in the document : [SAP on Oracle : Development Update February 2010|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f0576c6f-8303-2d10-4592-ae755ae7f6e4?quicklink=ora&overridelayout=true]

is the following statement (page 12) :

With version 11.2 Oracle does not support Linux IA64 and Linux on Power anymore

No SAP support possible as well!!

For current status please see SAP note 1398634

I would like further clarification about the meaning of this.

Does it mean that support will be added later, or that support for linux is being dropped on these platforms for good ?

Rgds, Eirikur.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Since the development platform for SAP is DB2, and DB2 runs on Linux on Power, why would a lack of Oracle 11 exclude SAP support on Linux for Power?

And since the migration from Oracle to DB2 is a well defined process and is being executed 100s of times a year for SAP customers (according to IBM sources), again this shouldn't be an inhibitor.

Lastly, since SAP and IBM co-develop DB2 and optimize it for SAP, there are measurable performance advantages to running on DB2. You should ask your SAP representative for more information on performance advantages of DB2 versus Oracle for SAP apps.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Since the development platform for SAP is DB2...

I'm not really sure why you think that is the case

Markus

esi
Participant
0 Kudos

Since I am not expecting further replies I am marking the question as answered.

esi
Participant
0 Kudos

I guess that since Oracle has not yet decided about support for this platform, more cannot be said about this at the moment.

I have received unofficial advice that this plaform combination is not optimal for long term oracle support.

Rgds, Eirikur.