cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using ADS in JEE application

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm developping a JEE application on CE7.1.

My business has a need to be able to generate PDF files coming from 2 inputs:

1. a interactive form that can be updated using lifecycle designer by the application administrators

2. input values coming directly from the end users

I've found some libraries such as JPdfField that will surely allow us to implement this functionality. But I'm wondering if Adobe Document Service could not help me.

Has anybody already used ADS in such a way?

Is it possible to get this service working in "standard" (non WD4j) applications?

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Probably there is a framework for Java to use this webservice. It works with Java WebDynpro. I don´t know how it works when you don´t want to use webdynpro. You can only use the predefined PDF object (some SAP JAR file or something), you cannot directly access the webservice. I don´t want to scare you, probably this is due to my lack of knowledge, not a real problem. Otto

p.s.: i am sorry, because I can feel you don´t like the mentioned informations, but I was trying hard to help

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

1) ADS interface with SAP is not public and is not intended for any customer development. I am not sure if that would not be a violation of the license terms. If you could use some ABAP/ Java support, the interface meant for development, then it would be ok. For example: You have a webservice in SAP which accepts the data from external app, call the printing program, get the binary stream of data from ADS, send the data stream back to the caller through WS and you have the form in your external app and the license has not been violated and not much development has been done

2) of course you can use iText, but the support of Interactive forms and the XFA standard is not fully supported in there. Some of the limitations are very annnoying, but better than nothing, right? And it is free of charge.

Regards Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

My customer needs an PDF file that will be generated from a pdf form and some of his data.

He will design the form and will then be able to modify dynamically (from a week to another for instance) the final pdf file.

I saw in this tutorial that ADS is accessible threw a webservice and that it can cover my need:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/50fd998b-494f-2b10-c2ab-e3513a857f62

I then foresee to implement a call to this webservice in my JEE with the form and datas so that I get the final pdf file generated.

Has someone already developed such call?

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) when you already have a binary PDF (*.PDF file on your desktop for example), you don´t need ADS. That is only needed when you have a XML template and some RAW data (XML as well), then ADS merges both files into the single one and renders a binary PDF file for you.

2) even if you would need ADS, you would NOT be able to use the webservice to call ADS because the interface is not indended for developers and is not documented and not for use except the partnering web service in SAP.

3) you need to create a webservice to send or receive data to/ from your form. I believe you can handle webservices in Java. The PDF form will be completely standalone (will have to be published from Acrobat, respect the license, that means read it first) and will be distributed as it is. The form will be blank until the user start working with it which can make the form call the webservice to send or receive data (which then will fill in the form after receiving or read the values from the form when sending).

or 4) you can use the standard integration between SAP Java app (NWDI) and ADS (I believe there is one). I am not very familiar with that, but people around who do the Java development for SAP will help for sure.

Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

So that means that we have a webservice available that should make what I want (merge a pdf form in xml format and some datas) but I'm not able to use it?

I'm wondering why SAP put this webservice in place and then why they're promoting ADS?