Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

relevance of SOA and Web 2.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this problem:

I need to write a short comparative discussion addressing the relevance of SOA and Web 2.0 to this example and, if appropriate, any future work that would be needed to make them more relevant.

the example it refers to is the question we had before it:

A worked example that includes annotated screen shots of how VC (visual composer) can be used to build a WBIS (web based information system) using data from an SAP ECC system (which you can access via BAPI components).

For some reason i am just hitting a dead end - had anyone got any pointers or ideas of where i can start and what to include.

I've started this already, am i on the righty tracks?:

-

As much as there is a rift and difference of opinion in the technology community, the fact remains that both SOA and Web 2.0 are fundamentally built upon standard XML, however it is noted that web 2.0 is dismissed as a rather airy-fairy route into working on an enterprise level.

"The evangelists for SOA tend to dismiss Web 2.0 technologies as light-weight u201Ctoysu201D not suitable for the u201Crealu201D work of enterprises." (1)

(1) Edge Perspectives with John Hagel. 2006. SOA Versus Web 2.0? [Online] Available at: http://edgeperspectives.typepad.com/edge_perspectives/2006/04/soa_versus_web_.html [Accessed 21 April 2010].

thanks peeps

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SOA is perhaps most abused term in today's IT world. SOA was invented to represent real world business service to model in IT environment.

I don't see any relationship between Web2.0 and SOA one is pure user interface related technology and another is methodology of designing architecture.

Use of xml or webservice is not SOA (you can call it WOA). Only relation I can see is web 2.0 provide user interface to consume webservice but it doesn't make it even close to SOA.

It is just jargon as rightly pointed out by you, what Web2.0 is offering us now was available in thick client for ages.

Regards,

Gourav

Former Member
0 Kudos

I attended a workshop a few years back where the presenter showed some slides about RFC (a variant of the DIAG protocoll) and at the end concluded that it is "eSOA".

You should however not lean too far out the window when flaming strange predictions...

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes if you attend seminar from Oracle then they will claim right database is SOA, if you attend IBM then hardware + application is SOA.

Watch this to understand really what SOA is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOQcjvUHZ0k

None of the major vendor is taking holistic approach for SOA (although they all claim).

Regards,

Gourav