cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java transports across different SPS, EHP and release

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

During an SPS/EHP upgrade, there is generally a transport freeze in the development landscape from DEV ->QA->PRD. This due to the incompatibility between the systems. SAP Note explaining the same is 1090842.

I understand that same is true for the Java developments as well. As the SC imported into track are specific to release and SP levels of the WAS. These would have to be adjusted and re-build, (after SPS/EHP upgrade of WAS) so that it refers to the new versions. But these new builds are possible in NWDI, which has not been updated. But these releases cannot be transported to QA before QA is also upgraded to same SPS/EHP as for DEV.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct. If yes, then is there a similar SAP Note/documentation available as for ABAP one explaining the same?

Appreciate your inputs on the same.

Thanks and Regards,

Arundeep Singh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are developing your own java code, than there shouldn't be any problem. We are currently running an NWDI which is far below on the runtime systems, and since we have no dependencies with SAP code, we don't face any problems.

If you are modifying SAP code in java, than you really should have the same releases.

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Your reply seems to talk more on the different release of NWDI and runtime systems.

My query is not about the relation of NWDI and Runtime Java systems compatibility. I want to know the restrictions on transports in which the Runtime system landscape, DEV->QA->PRD, when an SPS/EHP on release is being upgraded on runtime systems. The scenario where standard SAP developments has been modified is clear and there is good enough documentation available [here|https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/docs/DOC-17604]. Let me try to explain the case again.

1. Only the Runtime systems landscape being upgraded. NWDI remains the same.

2. No SAP standard development has been modified.

3. There is only custom development, but it has build and/or runtime dependency on standard SAP SWCV. e.g. dependency on JTECH 7.00

4. Now DEV runtime Java system is upgraded, lets say to EHP1. That means the JTECH will change from JTECH 7.00 to JTECH 7.01 in Runtime DEV system.

5. Now, I beleive that custom development/ SLD configuration should be adjusted so that custom development now depends on JTECH 7.01 and not on JTECH 7.00.

6. If this custom development is not modified and transported to QA system, it may not work as the JTECH version is different in DEV and QA.

7. There could be another option at point 5. It may be chosen not to change the dependency to new JTECH 7.01. but then it may not build or run properly as JTECH in DEV is now JTECH 7.01.

Similar case would be there in case of SPS as well. It is just in case of SPS it is more subtle. The SLD dependencies will remain same. But I wonder if any library/interfaces gets updated/deprecated then the applications may not run as expected. I understand the code is generally downward compatible, but not always.

This is why, I was checking if there is some official document explaining such scenarios. I am still searching. If I came across something i will provide the links.

Thanks and Regards,

Arundeep Singh

PS: I am not a Java developer. My judgement is purely based on the general logic.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arundeep,

We have a similar setup in our landscape, however we have never updated the dependencies of the software components in the SLD. The Dependency for our software component is JTECH SPS13 and in the runtime we have SPS19, and it works like a charm...

I think when you keep it the same for all runtime environments, you won't face any problems.

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Alright, that means in the case of SPS it remains fine. As from SLD dependencies does not include SPS. but in case of EHP, it wil change from 7.00 to 7.01. Then it may have an issue. But not sure. Have you done an EHP upgrade as well in this landscape ?

And the question will remain if there is any official documentation on the same?

Thanks and Regards,

Arundeep Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arundeep,

No, I haven't done a EHP upgrade in this landscape

You will probably not find an official statement regarding this. Don't think it is fully supported when you ask SAP.

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your time and inputs. I will try to raise the question as message to SAP. If I get anything answers, I will update the message.

If anyone else has information on the same please provide your valuable inputs.

Thanks and Regards,

Arundeep Singh