cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS on an air-gapped source-target system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our Production system is air-gapped from the target test client. Is it possible to perform the test data copy from Production to Test, through some form of manual file transfer instead of RFC?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182566
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi.

Probably it doesn't make any difference to you, but just to be accurate: you need an RFC connection from TDMS to the sender system (production), and a connection from TDMS to the receiver system (test), but NOT directly from sender to receiver.

Rui Dantas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rui Dantas,

Yes I am aware of that. I am thinking of a solution like

Prod -> TDMS1 -> <airgap> -> TDMS2 -> TEST

So there needs to be a mechanism to somehow transfer the data from TDMS1 to TDMS2.

former_member182566
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi again.

I think there is something you misunderstood: data read is saved in the sender (in header tables and then in a cluster table), and then it is read there to be written to the receiver. Data to be transferred is NOT saved in the TDMS server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gordon

Currently available version of TDMS doesnt support what you need. May be in future version but nothing known.

However if your requirement is not particularly reduction of data in the test system but to create test system then there could be one possibility. You will be able to setup a test system with full data from only one client. Mean a test system will all the client independent data and application data from only one client. That is possible without any link b/n sender and receiver.

If that helps let me know.

Thanks and regards,

Pankaj.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

gerard_white
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Gordon,

which TDMS process types would you like to apply a file transfer to?

Regards,

Gerard White.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your help. I understand the architecture of TDMS better now.

0 Kudos

Hello Gordon,

the networking that you suggested - Prod -> TDMS1 -> <airgap> -> TDMS2 -> TEST - will not work. Actually TDMS involves all the three system in parallel in some activities and data transfer is among the most important such activity. Your cluster is created in the sender system and then from there data will be transferred to the receiver, control still being help by the Central/control system.

I hope you can understand now.

Best Regards

Niraj

0 Kudos

Hello Gordan,

Sorry but can you please explain what do you mean by "air gapped" ? actually its a new term for me.

Regards

Niraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Niraj,

What I mean is that there is no network connection between Production and Test. They are 2 completely separate systems, for security purposes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can refer to the wikipedia link for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gap_%28networking%29

0 Kudos

Hello Gordan,

IN that case you have two options:

1. System copy.

2. CLient export import.

Both donot require physical connection between the two systems.

Best Regards

Niraj

Edited by: Niraj Kumar Soni on Apr 21, 2010 2:55 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, but TDMS has it's advantages, for example, scrambling of sensitive data, and not copying userdata/system data etc.

0 Kudos

Gordon,

You are correct but TDMS is purely RFC based and i am not aware of any other product that can give your reduction and advantages like scrambling.

I think you can choose the right profile as per your requirement and export import client.

Best Regards

Niraj

Edited by: Niraj Kumar Soni on Apr 21, 2010 4:07 PM