cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for JPA 2.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

is there any information available when SAP-JPA will implement the JPA 2.0 specification?

Thanks

Jan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

adrian_goerler
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

the only publicly information on this topic, I am aware of, is [this TechEd presentation|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/shop?rid=/media/uuid/6003ce1e-5e7f-2c10-dc84-92e6658b04b1]. See pages 51ff.

However, you have to be aware of the fact that NetWeaver AS Java is a Java EE 5 server, which contains a JPA 1 container. For container-managed persistence contexts, the JPA container wraps the (third-party) persistence contexts with a handle, which has version 1.0. Hence, you won't be able to invoke API methods added in 2.0. Moreover, any appliction will have a 1.0 version of the javax.persistence API in the classpath hiding a 2.0 version of the API possibly deployed with the application. Due to this, it is not really possible to use 2.0 features of a third-party persistence provider in NetWeaver AS Java.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful.

-Adrian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adrian,

we were indeed thinking about trying to use EclipseLink's JPA 2.0 features but were unsure if this works with the bundled JPA 1.0 jars.

It think it might be possible to use some of the new JPA 2.0 annotations (so they aren't hidden by the bundled 1.0 version) if you bundle a JPA 2.0 jar with you application and the persistence provider supports 2.0. But it seems not like a very clean and reliable solution.

So, thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately I can't access the TechEd presentation. Could you please give me its title, so that I can look it up?

Kind regards

Jan

adrian_goerler
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

the title of the presentation is "CD104 SAP and Open Source - Combining Both for the Benefit of our Customers". It makes the statement that we plan to leverage EclipseLink for JPA 2.0.

-Adrian

Former Member
0 Kudos

That would be great!

Thanks

Jan