cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To know System Downtime!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

There have been a strange problem with one of our client.Our system is getting down almost every week.We are not able to investigate the root cause of the SAP Server down.We are using UNIX & Oracle 10g.Please let me what are the files I need to check in OS to know the error log?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First check the trace files of work directory.

1) check the trace files dev_disp and dev_w*.

2) check stopsap.log and check stopdb.log

3) and the most important thing is check whether problem with OS or SAP. like some times sever will be rebooted due to the Operating system level background jobs and As well with Datacentre problems.

what you need to do is check the Server reboot with the os levle command : last reboot | less because you need to confirm your self whether Server rebooted or SAP got restarted. this 2 things u need to analyse.

If server got rebooted then there is a problem with Operating system level so you need to ask OS level guys to lookin.

if not then please check the trace files and log files as suggested above and suggested by our experts in other threads.

-Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Sachin,

You need to check multiple things:

Steps:

1) Check if database is up and running

2) check dev_disp,dev_wX

3) Check alert log file for data base

4) Check OS level messages /var/adm/messages

5) Check network connectivity issues

6) Check for memory parameters

Revert in case any clarification is required.

Regards,

Gagan Deep Kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which files in the work drectory I need to check?

0 Kudos

Hello Sachin,

Proceed like this: once the system goes down check the work directory and find whether the problem is with SAP side or with DB side. Check all trace files in the work directory in the descending order. if you find the problem with the DB side additionally check the DB files.

Best Regards

Niraj