cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web service for User Management / UME?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

i am a newbie, i am not sure either this has been asked before or it's the right place to ask this question, please excuse me.

my company recently started to use sap netweaver portal, and want sync users and roles between it and legacy systems. those system are ms .net based.

i wonder if there are built-in web service for user management (like create user, assign roles, edit, delete) that come with netweaver portal and where i can find out the documents for it?

thank you guys.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erv,

Users are stored in NW database and to my knowledge there is no webservice for synchronising users.

And if there is indeed webservices for this I'd be interested to know too! You can still do mass import and export (see the link)

Nevertheless, what you may want to do is either using the users which are defined for ECC and then use this ABAP directory as a source for your users, or use LDAP in order to provide your user source.

One important point is that the same users can not be coming from two different sources. So take 5 mins to think about it.

Assuming you are on NW CE 7.11:

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwce711core/helpdata/en/45/a3c3f043cb0cf0e10000000a114a6b/frameset.htm]

Cheers,

Arnaud

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arnaud,

thanks for the reply.

let's say i m not trying to sync users between two places. i m trying to find out a way to create new users in the sap portal using a programatic way.

and i did some search and then i find a web service called:

"http://<server>:<port>/irj/servlet/prt/soap/UMWebService?Wsdl"

from the structure of it, i can see there an operation called "modifyuser", however i m not able to test this wsdl either using the "Web Service Navigator" or "SoapUI"

when i put the address in Web Service Navigator, it says:

Wsdl (http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/)fault element is missing required attribute(s) name.

when i test it in SoapUI, it returns:

The User Authentification is not correct to access to the Portal Service UMWebService or the service was not found.

is this the right web service? am i looking at a right direction?

thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erv,

I guess you have a few things to test:

- First: would be to rise you right on the server as administrator or something equivalent or to ask to somebody who have the rights to do this. (assuming you don't have them) Then try again SOAP UI.

- Second (for the faulty part): Try to save the WSDL on you hard drive and to use this as a source for SOAP UI.

If you can still not trigger the webservice, your best bet is to try Stylus studio, Xml Spy or any of those type of software.

You should be able to fix or look in details at what is the issue in the WSDL. I'm thinking too that the error that you are seing can also simply be generated by the standard NW answer for unauthorized access (plain html).

Which version of EP and NW are you using?

Cheers,

Arnaud

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Arnaud,

thanks for the reply again.

at the moment i am doing the test on a ce 7.1 server, cos it's already setup, but i think we'll be using the 7.0 for production portal and the server that handles single sign on.

i think i have the right to do server admin thing, but i m not sure i have the enough right to call the wsdl, do you know exactly the role i need?

my user is able to create new users and go to the nwa admin page to do the settings.

cheers,

Edited by: erv2 on Apr 20, 2010 6:05 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erv,

I think that if you are going to use 7.0 you should stick to it. As per the following link capabilities of the portal in CE are not the same as the one in 7.0.

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50786c8a-8138-2c10-f883-e157347a95a6?quicklink=index&overridelayout=true]

Moving content from one to the other will certainly involve loss of functionalities and migration issues. (also not the same java stack)

Regarding authorization, unfortunately you'll have to look in the actions defined in UME and look for something like UMWebService. This could be a separate application from either UME and Portal and have it's own actions that you need to allocate to your user.

Cheers,

Arnaud

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry posted too quickly...

Edited by: Arnaud Liotta on Apr 20, 2010 12:46 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arnaud,

i found something like the following from my actions which looks most likely to be the right action:

J2EE-MODULE sap.com com.sap.portal.um_webservice $SAP_J2EE_Engine_Upload

i m not familer with actions, i found that on the "Run-As-Identity" tab, the Direct Association is blank, the Force Association is set to "bpm160user"

i m quite confuse here, why actions can't be associated with roles? if i set my user to direct association, is it going to affect the bpm usage?

thanks so much for your kind reply, you helped me alot.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erv,

I'm a bit confused because bpm160user is a test demo user that is used in some samples. If somebody is working on the server you should not change it...

But there is something else, if you want to be able to run this service and create user then you also need to be able to create the users, security groups and roles yourself.

Did you have a look in the logs?

Cheers,

Arnaud

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member190272
Active Contributor
0 Kudos