cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To use SAP QM module or Non-SAP QM system (like QIS)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

We are a company to produce various kinds of health care products.

We have already implemented SAP stardard FI、SD and part of MM modules already.

We are going to implement PP、QM and the rest parts of MM in the next 5 monthes.

Someone tole me SAP QM is not very good.

I am a member of our QM implementation team.

To use SAP QM module or Non-SAP QM system (like QIS)?

This problem has always been puzzling me.

Hope you could give me some advices.

Thank you very much!

Jason

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you have any other tips?

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The resistance and issues I find are usually related to not knowing the future, not wanting to change and not liking the rules enforced by SAP. SAP QM can be designed to be highly flexible to highly rigid. It depends what you want to do in your business. But you have to remember, once you desgin the rules, SAP enforces them. Any deviation from the rules will appear to be "issues" to your people. So if you decide that every shipment is to be inspected, don't complain on a day when you have twice as many shipments to make because SAP requires you to do all the inspections.

For those that say it's not for their company I would simply tell them to look at other companies in their business area. There are plenty of companies in almost every business area using SAP sucessfully. You won't have to go far to find them and my guess is that at least one of your direct competitors is using SAP. So what you should be asking is, are you trying to catch them in the market place? Or are they trying to catch you? Or are they catching up to you?

Since you already have SAP, I would think this is a no brainer. You already own the software. You already have the support system. As long as you are supporting production and not doing R&D, I can't see why you wouldn't use QM SAP QM is not designed well for R&D.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi FireFighter & Krishna,

Thank you very much!

I think I'd better elaborate the implementation background more clearly so as to help you to give me more suggestions.

Please see:

We have already implemented SAP FI(except CO)、SD and MM(except procurement) modules already.

We are going to implement PP、QM 、CO and Procurement in Dec.

Our manufacturing and distribution models are like Amway.

Look from whole, our produce segment lacks IT system supporting.

Most of their work had to be done by hand.

(It's one of the reason why we suppose to implement QM.)

Best Regards!

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jason,

Would like to highlight one thing, if you have Procurement, Production along with customer related processes then you will definitely benefit the QM implementation.

See it is said that the thing which is monitored is controlled, QM modules gives you following benefits:

1) Control over Incoming material: If you control the quality of incoming material then quality of final product is assured. This improves your supplier service and reliability of RM to production.

2) Control over In process : Monitoring the In process ensured that right quality product goes to customer.

3) Final inspection : If you control Incoming and Inprocess final quality will be always good, this protects your customer.

4) You spend lot of money in rejections / complaints, QM module helps you in analyzing and controlling the same.

5) Recent techniques like Process capability (Cp, CpK, Control charts Histograms ) can be used through QM module.

6) Full Analysis and control over Customer complaints there by building happy customer base and retaining and gaining new customers.

So overall you will have Huge benefits in reducing rejections / complaints and customer satifaction.

Best Regards,

Shekhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Shekhar,

Thank you very much!

I readly know more about the benefits from SAP QM after reading all of your professional replies.

Your reply is very clear.

I will close this issue if there is no more reply.

Best Regards!

Jason

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

krishnamurty_madduri
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, As mentioned in the earlier replies, it all depends on the industry type you are in, your QM requirements and a host of other things. However, since you have already implemented other modules of SAP, it would make better business sense to implement SAP QM. Remmeber: Integrity is the strength of SAP. So, SAP QM works in integrity with other modules such as MM, PP and SD in Logistics and if you want to capture QM costs, CO helps. Since you are in Health care business, it would be most appropriate to implement SAP QM, since it brings-in conformance to cGMP, ISO 9000 etc. In short, SAP QM is a small but effective module working in integration with other modules to achieve company's objectives of TQM. Regards, Krishna. Madduri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Raj and SujitSND.

Waiting for more suggestions!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to share my view on this.SAP QM module or Non-SAP QM is actually depends upon the kind of processes ,kind of systems you follow & kind of acceptence level in your industry.As you have implemented SAP system for rest of the modules ,SAP-QM will actually add that exatra touch in QM system.Its always better not to have any stand alone system when rest of systems are in SAP.

I will not be doing justice to SAP if I would say that don't use.Actually SAP has been customized in such away that it follows the best industry standards.all i can say that SAP-QM will give you tht leverage from any other system'

I hope this will add some value.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes SAP QM is not very good, if you really not using the system effectively.

sap qm is configured such a way that adopt for new qm standards.