Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when try to install CPU - Critical Patch Update with OPatch

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

I´m faccing with a problem... After I update the patch set to 10.2.0.4 and install the interim patches for Linux X86_64 now I´m trying to import/install the Oracle Critical Patch Update - Oracle CPU patch!!

I´m trying to import it with OPatch, and I already update this OPatch tool for the last version even before proceeding with installation of Oracle CPU!

I've tried to import it by two methods. The first I tried to apply as described in the relevant README file inside of CPU patch directory, and I used in this case the following command:

redhatsap:orajmd>  unzip p9119226_10204_<platform>.zip
redhatsap:orajmd>  cd 9119226
redhatsap:orajmd>  opatch napply -skip_subset -skip_duplicate
opatch: Command not found

After that previous error, I tried again but now with other method that is described in note 839182 (Installing patches using OPatch) with the following command:

redhatsap:orajmd>  cd 9119226
redhatsap:orajmd>  $ORACLE_HOME/OPatch/opatch apply

========================================================
GENERIC OPATCH VERSION - FOR USE IN SAP ENVIRONMENT ONLY
========================================================
Invoking OPatch 10.2.0.4.5

Oracle Interim Patch Installer version 10.2.0.4.5
Copyright (c) 2008, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Oracle Home       : /oracle/JMD/102_64
Central Inventory : /oracle/oraInventory
   from           : /etc/oraInst.loc
OPatch version    : 10.2.0.4.5
OUI version       : 10.2.0.4.0
OUI location      : /oracle/JMD/102_64/oui
Log file location : /oracle/JMD/102_64/cfgtoollogs/opatch/opatch2010-04-19_01-49-17AM.log

Patch history file: /oracle/JMD/102_64/cfgtoollogs/opatch/opatch_history.txt

Failed to load the patch object.  Possible causes are:
  The specified path is not an interim Patch shiphome
  Meta-data files are missing from the patch area
  Patch location = /oracle/JMD/102_64/9119226
  Details = PatchObject constructor: Input file "/oracle/JMD/102_64/9119226/etc/config/actions" or "/oracle/JMD/102_64/9119226/etc/config/inventory" does not exist.

ApplySession failed: PatchObject constructor: Input file "/oracle/JMD/102_64/9119226/etc/config/actions" or "/oracle/JMD/102_64/9119226/etc/config/inventory" does not exist.
System intact, OPatch will not attempt to restore the system

OPatch failed with error code 73

Can you help me please?

Best regards

João Dimas - Portugal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please make sure you are giving right path, i can understand that file is missing (9119226/etc/config/actions), if you will unzip main folder it will create 2 folder with name 9119226.

as

\9119226\9119226\etc

So make sure you are executing from \9119226\9119226\....

Steps:

Cd /oracle/JMD/102_64/9119226/9119226

$ORACLE_HOME/OPatch/opatch apply

Revert after checking the path setting.

Regards,

Gagan Deep Kaushal

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Gagan Deep Kaushal,

Hum... Yeah you right, after unzip the main folder of CPU patch downloaded in marketplace "database patches" area, it create 2 folder with name 9119226, one is the main folder/directory the other is a subfolder with the same name as the parent folder... but not only that, within the main directory there are a lot of subfolders with other numbers/names!!! So... my question is obvious, I do not have to apply all these folders?... Because what you recommended was only apply one subfolder, the /oracle/JMD/102_64/9119226/9119226 !!

So, if this is only to apply that, I ask you why this have this many subfolders??

Best regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

Former Member
0 Kudos

redhatsap:orajmd> unzip p9119226_10204_<platform>.zip

redhatsap:orajmd> cd 9119226

redhatsap:orajmd> opatch napply -skip_subset -skip_duplicate

Your start was correct here. And you are right again, the error message has nothing to do with permissions.

But you should try to get familiar with the concept of $PATH variable in Unix. opatch was not found because its directory is not included in $PATH.

There are two possible solutions:

1) Change $PATH variable

2) Call opatch with absolute path.

You decided to try 2)

But why did you omit the parameters of your initially correct call??

In other words, I would try this:

$ORACLE_HOME/OPatch/opatch napply -skip_subset -skip_duplicate

hope this helps

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Joe Bo.,

That solution solved my problem... sorry!! You´re right, I'm still not totally familiar with concept of $PATH variable in Unix!

I understood the two possibles, I went by the second option and so as you said I had to put that $ORACLE_HOME/OPatch/ before opatch napply -skip_subset -skip_duplicate string command!!

To run the command that I typed, before it, I should included the ORACLE_HOME/OPatch in $PATH variable...! Ohh Ok!! Yeah in fact it makes sense!! (I think this should be included in the readme file but unfortunately it isn´t... I don´t why!)

So.. thank you very much Joe Bo. you helped me to solve this problem!!

Best regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello again Joe Bo... and all of others,

I´m with a doubt after installing the CPU patch, which is related to post-installation tasks. I´m in this momment install the SAP System and it was during this installation that sapinst asked me to install the database and all other activities after this installation that are related to the database, for example, the updating of database patches.

At README file in chapter 3.3.2 Post Installation Instructions is described the following:

After installing the patch, perform the following actions:

1.Load modified .sql files into the database, as explained in Section 3.3.2.1.

2.Recompile views in the database, if necessary, as explained in Section 3.3.2.2.

In this momment, as you certainly know, I still don´t have a database because the sap system isn´t yet totally installed (I´m in phase 8 of sapinst wizard).

I only have to do this "Post Installation Tasks" when I have a database, this database will be created after that phase 8 - so now I don´t need to perform the post steps... am I right?

Thanks in advance,

João Dimas - Portugal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is not mandatory to have database created to execute those post installation script.

Those sql scripts compile/correct existing DBA Objects. (like dba tables, views etc.).

(You can watch the details when script is running....)

So you can perform post installation activity without worry...

It is must to ensure smooth operation of oracle if the database is already created..

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Rajesh Narkhede,

Thank you for trying to help me...

But how can I do that if these post installation activities are executed via SQL Plus Console ... to do this I must have to start all database services that are currently down, am I right? If so can you tell me how can I do that and which database services I have to start?

I think to start the service Listener is in this way -- $ lsnrctl start

And the other services?

Best regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

Former Member
0 Kudos

João,

don't start Oracle now.

Creation or change of tables and so on will be done when database will be created by the SAP installation script.

The purpose of patching currently is just this: Put the necessary SQL scripts and Unix binaries in place, for later usage.

Rajesh,

I agree with João. How could a table be created as long as there isn't a database ?

regards

PS:

João,

I think by now you should have learned one important lesson:

Do not believe nor follow just every advice you get on the internet!

(This advice does apply to my advice as well, of course.)

Edited by: Joe Bo. on Apr 20, 2010 5:13 PM

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Joe Bo.,

It seems to me that what you said makes sense to me... In this phase I don´t have a database/sap system, I´m in phase 8, at the middle of sapinst, and what I did until now, after the sapinst stopped, were install oracle database 10.2.0.1 after this I update database to 10.2.0.4 version and finally I patching this with interim patches and also the CPU patch... as recommended 839187 - Oracle 10.2.0: Applying patch set/patches/patch collection . So now I think I did everything, and I will restart the old session and so continuing the installation process (sapinst).

PS: Yeah you´re right.. I know that!! I understood what you wanted to say... but I always try to confirme what is recommended here and in others forums in SAP Official Documentation nevertheless I think we all hope that the vast experience of some people here could assist others with less experience!!

"Always share your knowledge with the world but with purpose of course"

Thank you Joe, I´ll restart this and since I have more information I´ll post here!

Best regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello again Joe Bo.,

After all this I press the button at wizard of sapinst to continue the system installation (from phase 8)... but I don´t know why the wizard window closed!!! I thought these behaviour very weird!!

After all this things... what I did was start again the sapinst, but one more time, another very strange thing happened which I didn´t expect... which was the sapinst wizard didn´t show me / prompt the option to "continue with the Old Option"... so I start again with other "New Option", in other words, I start again all the installation process from the phase 1... but I´m stuck now in phase 3 - Install common system files!!

If you could help me to pass this error you can go to this following message that I created for this purpose:

Thank you,

João Dimas - Portugal

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you run it once more with the following option: setting the environment variable OPATCH_DEBUG=TRUE

This might give some more useful information...

Kind regards,

Mark

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello M. Dijsselbloem,

Thanks for trying to help me! I believe your answer is helpfull but I already solved this problem through the help of Joe!! Thank you very much anyway M. Dijsselbloem!

Kind regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

redhatsap:orajmd>  opatch napply -skip_subset -skip_duplicate

I think "opatch" is missing "EXECUTE" permission.

Please set the permission of opatch as 775 and then try to install it again from "9119226" directory...

OR run it as

redhatsap:orajmd> ./opatch napply -skip_subset -skip_duplicate
OR
redhatsap:orajmd> sh opatch napply -skip_subset -skip_duplicate

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Rajesh Narkhede,

Thanks for your attempt to help me!

This has nothing to do with permissions... the opatch directory has all permissions for all users!

So, but I tried to install it as you told me but without sucess... It show me precisely the same errors!

Thank you anyway.

Kind regards,

João Dimas - Portugal