cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skip creation of DB stats

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm currently installing the IDES ERP 6.0 on Linux and have reached the stage where the installer is creating DB statistics. The estimated time is 13 hours and I did not realize this prior to selecting the option. Is there any way I can cancel the creation of DB statistics?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Benjamin,

it takes approx 2hrs for my systems ... maybe this is a hint that your I/O subsystem has some issues? DB statistics is, at least for MaxDB, a single threaded load which mainly does read only operations.

Thanks,

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hannes, thanks for the response. Yes, I believe there is some bottleneck in the I/O as I am actually installing the IDES to a separate location on the network and I believe that is probably the cause of the bottleneck (in addition to limited physical RAM). The 10mbps connection here will definitely not come close to saturating the hard disk's full bandwidth.

It is interesting that you mentioned the db statistics creation is single-threaded. I suppose that multi-core CPUs would then not be advantage during this process. Are you aware whether the "Import ABAPs" stage is also single-threaded? (i.e. when the installer imports the IDES data into the DB) I know that during the initial installation that you can specify 'x' number of jobs to be run concurrently, but was never sure of the optimal amount to select.

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Benjamin,

Yes, the import phase is multi threaded (at least if you say so when SAPINST asks you).

My rule of thumb for the amount of parallel import jobs is: double the number of CPU cores (maybe 2.5 if you have SMT)

Thanks,

Hannes

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip. Will see how to optimize the installation speed in the future.