cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to speed up SGEN process run

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear gurus,

Could you please tell me, how can i decrease the total run time of the SGEN process?

I got to know , if we change the settings in RZ12, It is possible for us to speed up the process

please give me an idea regarding this.

Thanks and Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Ranjith418
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

SGEN uses the configured quota for asynchronous RFC. Do the following:

RZ12 => select group "parallel_generators" (probably the group already exists, otherwise create it and assign to the instance(s) you wish to participate in this group)

For each instance that is a member of the parallel_generators group:

- Double-click on the entry

- The relevant quota are "Max. Number of WPs Used (%)" and "Minimum Number of Free WPs". The first is treated as a percentage of the number of DIA processes. The second indicates how many DIA processes must be kept free.

Save the changes you make.

Example: assume that an instance has 20 DIA processes and you configure "Max. Number of WPs Used (%)" = 50 and "Minimum Number of Free WPs" = 5. This means that SGEN will start 10 parallel jobs (50% of 20 processes), unless so many DIA processes are busy on other activities that the number of free DIA would fall below 5.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Addition to Niraj and Amber,

Run the db stats and keep checking archive logs space.

The following note helps if you are on oracle db.

Link: [Note 838725|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/838725]

If you use RFC group as parallel_generators, then it utilizes the systems and its dialog process to parallelize the pieces of generation.

As a usual case, If no one is going to login to the system during the generation then you can set the option "Max. Number of WPs Used (%)" as 90~95 to maximize the workprocess usage for the RFC group parallel_generators.

Link: [Note 1002815 - SGEN Performance Issue]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Thanks for your suggestion

0 Kudos

Hello,

Are you using parallel generation ?

Check Note 1132507 - SGEN: Using maximum number of free work processes.

Also check Parallel Generation part in following help link:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/28/52583c65399965e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Best Regards

Niraj

former_member198270
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Purna, Adding to Niraj's points - whenever you are executing SGEN in your system, keep checking tablespaces very closely as they tend to inflate during sgen process and then again come back to normal, if required you would need to increase tablespaces.

I hope it helps.

Regards, Amber S | ITL