cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV02n Questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the change transaction for DMS, CV02n.

When you access the DIR in change mode, and you edit the original application file attached to the DIR, it opens the relevant Workstation Application.

You make changes to the attached file, and then you save it.

You are not asked whether you want to save the DIR, but instead, are taken back to the Change Transaction initial screen, with a message that the document changes have been saved.

Is this a bug in CV02n?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Freddie Botha

When you access the DIR in change mode, and you edit the original application file attached to the DIR, it opens the relevant Workstation Application.

You make changes to the attached file, and then you save it.

When you open the application file & making changes to file, that also means that you are changing the DIR too.

You are not asked whether you want to save the DIR, but instead, are taken back to the Change Transaction initial screen, with a message that the document changes have been saved.

Certainly system will not ask again. Because you have already clicked on the "Save" button & then only it's coming back to the initial screen of CV02N.

Please remember, once you enter the CV02N transaction, you make whatever changes (that are permitted according to your configuration) you want including changes to the application file. After made changes than only you are going to "Save" the DIR.

Is this a bug in CV02n?

This is standard feature. It's not a bug.

I hope this helps you.

Regards

Amaresh Makal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response.

I know that this is the current functionality, but I dont think it works correctly.

Let me explain:

If I access the DIR, and I make changes to the metadata, and the classification of the DIR, I may end up not wanting to save those changes.

Now I open the original file, and I edit it. I save the original file in it's native application.

My logic says I should be returned to the DIR itself, so that I can change the metadata or classification data, and only then, when I am satisfied with those changes, save the DIR.

The other fundamental problem with this, is also that, when you have saved the original file, and you are returned to the initial change document screen, the original file that you edited, remains checked out of storage, and you would have to re-enter the DIR in change mode, to check it back in.

Here is what I am basing my logic on:

If I have configuration that requires a status change, the DIR will not close, but ask me first to change the status, and to then save the DIR, even if I have changed and saved the original application file.

If I change my configuration to open the original application file in the SAP GUI by configuring the Workstation Application in the Network to %SAP-OFFICE-INTEGRATION.INPLACE% %MAXSIZE%

I can then edit the original application file, save it, and then hit the back button to return to the DIR.

This allows you to continue making the changes to the metadata and the classification, and also to check the document back into the storage area.

or

I can then edit the original application file, save and exit and return to the change transaction initial screen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Freddie,

DIR remains same. When you change or edit the document and save again,DMS system will ask you to change the status.

Thus it's not error.whenever you are editing ,the document will get differentiated based on status or version.

I hope this will resolve your query.

Regards,

Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

Thanks for your responses

Please see my second post response.

The question I have is not with regards to config and status changes or content versions.

It relates to the behaviour of CV02n when the original file is changed.

In one scenario, you are taken to the initial change transaction screen

In the other scenario, you can save the original, and return to the DIR, to check the file back in, make additional changes to the metadata and classification, and then save the DIR.

The second scenario seems to me to be the correct behaviour because in the first scenario a number of things could go wrong:

I could change the status to a wrong status

I could populate the incorrect classification data

My file will be checked out and stored outside of SAP, so no one else will have access to it

The DIR will be saved, and I will continue my work, having saved it with wrong values

Does that make sense?

Regards,

Freddie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another update:

If I change my Workstation Application In Network configuration to %SAP-OFFICE-INTEGRATION.OUTPLACE% %MAXSIZE%

The original file is opened, and I can edit it. If I close the original application file, SAP prompts me to save the original. It then leaves me in the change transaction, so that I can continue working.

Surely, this is the correct behavior, and not the behavior as posted in the first response.

Regards,

Freddie.