cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Client Copy - Dev to Prod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I will be executing remote client copy from dev to prod. But before doing so, I have executed a test run client copy. Now I got an error stating "The client copy you started has terminated, Tables cannot be converted"

What will I do next? Before I execute a test run client copy, I executed "RFC System Comparison" and it listed down Table Definiton Difference (composed of several transports).

According to our ABAPER if we released those transports there's a possibility that those transports would affect other tables in prod and would not want to transport them.

Could anyone suggest me other way to do the client copy without releasing those transports.

TIA.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all SAP never recommends to use more that one client as your Production client.

But for you requirement i suggest you to do not do a Remote client copy, Client export and Import is best scenario than Remote client copy.

And before doing a live scenario, check all the errors/warings for all tables as some of the repository objects may damage all of your current PRO clients.

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

When performing a client copy all table definitions on source and target should be the same.

You can exclude tables from the copy using report RSCCEXPT. Check note 70290 for further infromation.

For these tables you could create some export script and load the data manually...

Kind regards,

Mark Dijsselbloem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

One of the client's implementation in Development will be finished soon and would require to be migrated to Production. Isn't it right that Remote Client Copy will be executed?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with Sunny, that this could be a dangerous operation.. You could create a separate client for customizing, but I would never import another client in a production system with option SAP_ALL

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

What can you advice. It is my first time to do a remote client copy from Dev to a new cleint in Prod. I run a test copy but it results to table differences. Our ABAPER dont want to carry out those transports cause they are linked to other changes of another client.

TIA

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Whats your scenario?.... If you explain the reason for the copy of DEV into a client in Production we might be able to suggest an alternative

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

My advice is: don't do it. You could get problems with cross-client customizing as well..

In general, you do not copy development data to production just like that. You could seriously damage your system.

Just like Juan, what is the exact reason behind this?

Kind regards,

Mark

0 Kudos

Hello,

I also go with Sunny and Mark. Donot go for this activity.

WHats your requirement exactly behind this activity ??

Regards

Niraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

The reason of this activity is to migrate one client w/c is currently in dev. The client has just finished its implementation and is now ready for production. But the problem is we have a lot of live clients in production that will be affected if in case there will be a problem with the activity. I already run a test remote client copy but it always get terminated due to tables/fields missing.

Please suggest.

TIA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you briefly explain what do you mean by "lot of live clients in production" ? Do you mean that you have more than one client like XXX, YYY. How many of then you have and why this was done. As already suggested above your approach of doing a client copy from dev to prod is really not recommended one and you will land up in lot of issues...infact your production might go for a toss.

Dont you have a test bed syste or quality in your environment. Also, as you said that you have done some implenmentations in one of the client in DEV and you want that to be available in production. Why cant you transport them to production instead of doing a client copy. Again here we have two cases. If the implementation whcih you have done are client specific then it will effect only that particular client in production. If those implementations are client indepenedant then it will effect all clients in the production.

Hence, I would suggest you to better have one more server installed and copy the data from the production. Let it be a test bed or quality. Then do a copy from DEV to that system and see what will be the effect. If there is not adverse effect then you can carry on with production (but it will be almost taking risk).

Other one, I would like to suggest is to work on streamlining your landscape with proper setup like have dev, qlt and prod (with only one client).

Regards,

Sharath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sharath,

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Basically in our production system we have 5 clients (XXX, YYY, ZZZ, etc). These clients are live and are used for payroll processing. The scenario is, we have this NEW client in dev (AAA) that has been implemented and tested, also a payroll client. We would want to migrate this to prod. I have created a new client (AAA) in prod. I believe this new client is client specific that will not affect any live clients in prod. I have done activities prior to the actual remote client copy:

1. Create RFC connections between the two systems. Tested OK.

2. Execute RFC System Comparison. Result: listed some table/index that are inconsistent.

3. Run SA38. Execute RSCCEXPT and include the tables missing on it.

4. Run Remote Client Copy Test Run.

It skipped all tables/index that were inconsistent. Test run successfully completed.

Let me know if I have done the right procedure,

TIA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eleazar,

What profile are you using for your client copy? As mentioned before, cross-client customizing and repository objects can still damage your productive data. If you are only copying client dependent customizing, than there shouldn't be any problem. If not, I would recommend NOT to execute this client copy...

Kind regards,

Mark Dijsselbloem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

I have selected SAP_ALL profile for this activity.

TIA.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As everybody in this thread is warning you not to do it, I would follow this advice.

If this goes totally wrong, than you are the person that should have warned the business for this.... Do not take the risk!

Give your manager an alternative for this, like mentioned in some answers below.

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark.

I'll take your advice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The procedure which you followed for client copy is fine and this is normal one which we follow, but not from dev to prod infact from prd to dev or qlt based on scenario.

You are saying that "you believe the new client (AAA) which you have created in dev is client specific" are you sure about it, and why are you not opting for transports instead of client copy. I dont know what is your business scenario and why you are having five clients in production. You are saying that five clients in production are live and are fine, then did you check how these five client have been implemented in production to work correctly now and who has done it.

The only best option as of now what I would see is incase if you are insisting that you need to create one more client in production then, create the new client in production, then after that instead of doing a remote copy from dev do a local client copy from 000 of production. Next transport the developments done in dev (if you are sure that all developments are client specific only and are not client independant)

Note: But having some many clients in production is always risky...but if you are 100% sure that new client is client specific then you can go with u r approach at your own risk. But before that as I said above first check how the existing five clients were implemented.

Gud Luck for you and your production system !!!!!!

Regards,

Sharath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sharath,

Thanks for your advice. Actually, I am just new in the company and I dont know how they implemented "5 clients in one system".

I'll be taking all your advice as I'm not a BASIS expert

Thanks to all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

May I ask what SAP Note is related to client export/import.

TIA

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Why you want to do client copy from dev to PRD ? It will delete all your data in production system.

Thanks

Sunny