Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unit of measure conversion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Currently

Material master is setup as a BUOM in Lbs.

Purchase order is created using BUOM

Vendor invoice is billed in Kg's.

Is it possible to enter a purchase order in a different unit of measure from the BUOM.

This change is required because, we buy stuff in lbs and pay to the customer in Kgs, so wanted to have the UOM in Kgs from the purchase order to the end of the transaction.

Thanks,

Quantum.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this is certainly possible with the order unit, that can be entered in the purchasing view of material master.

As you had already business, you have to change the info record as well manually.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your prompt reply.

This is the first time i am working on UOM conversion.

I see that UOM conversion is already maintained at material master level.

So what is the next step to have an alternate UOM under the purchase order. Do we have to make the UOM changes manually all the time, or is there a way system proposes the alternate UOM automatically.

Basically i would like to know, what are the steps required to make this change in place.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Quantum.

Edited by: quantum on Apr 15, 2010 5:11 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please check this link out for details:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me try to summarize and add a little information about UOms for you.

1) UOm for a particular should be maintained by your own Stock keeping Unit, not based on what vendor or customer's UOm.

2) In Material Master, you can set Order Unit. This means that for every vendor, the Order unit is XX. Alternatively, you can leave this field empty and set the Order unit in Info Record. Im saying this because, maybe, the Order unit is only relevant for a particular vendor and not others.

3) In Material Master, you can also find Unit of Issue. Meaning conversion for Production Purposes.

4) And lastly, UOm for Sales. This can be done from Alternative unit of measure in Material Master.

So to sum up, you can maintain your Material A in EA (Each), Order it from Vendor XYZ in CAR (Cartons), Issue it in BOX (Boxes), and sell it in DZ (Dozen). Just an Example....

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In your PIR set the purchasing unit as KG and hence the price is defined per kilo, then put in a conversion to LBS i.e. 1 KG = 2.2 LBS.

The conversion is defined in the Conditions sub-screen (lower part) of the Purchasing Organisation data of the PIR.

Regards,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your reply to the issue i am facing.

Changes may raise couple of questions, given below. Please advice.

Will there be an any impact, if i make a change in the material master or PIR for that material?

What care should i take before making those changes?

What happend to all historical data, if i make a change.?

Thanks,

Quantum.

Former Member
0 Kudos

you need to maintain "Var OUn " as 1. otherwise it wont allow to change the uint in purchase order

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you can do this:.

If you always order material in the same UoM, in the material master -> Purchasing view, you can set the Order unit = KG

If the order UoM depends on the vendor you are purchasing from, in the info record (ME12) under Purchae Order Unit of Measure you can also set the Order unit = KG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Absolutely. You can define alternative uoms and conversions in a number of places .e.g. on the material master.

In your PIR or Contract define the price per kg (purchasing uom) and add the conversion factor to buom "Quantity conversion" (may default in if already defined as part of uom set up).

Regards,

Nick