cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI environment consisting of dual-stacks and single stacks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

We have recently installed a new BI ABAP+JAVA system, both stacks on same server using the workaround in

Note 1181025 - NW7.0 EHP1 - Install BI Dual Stack System (Workaround) (option 3).

However, for the QA and Production system we wish to split the ABAP and JAVA stack.

Does anyone see a problem with this landscape, where we have a DEV system with dual stack (same SID), then a split QA system with separate SID's for ABAP and JAVA, and the same for the production system ?

For the ABAP stack i see noe problem at all, but i'm not quite sure about the JAVA part.

Regards. Gerhard.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gerhard,

The configuration you describe should not lead to any problems. You can use the same SID for Java and ABAP without any problems. Communication between systems is based on port numbers, not on system ID's.

Kind regards,

Mark Dijsselbloem

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Though there are no technical issues with this approach, there are some points i have.

- in an ideal scenario your dev/QA/and production systems for an application should have the same technical layout, in this scenario, you will have to follow different steps while moving changes across the landscape. Example, you want to apply kernel, apply support packs etc.

- i dont see any benefits you are going to get out of this setup.

Edited by: Ruwali yogesh on Mar 22, 2011 11:26 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi my friend

Technically there's no problem to split them up for QAS and PRD but be aware of that, any difference between PRD and DEV or QAS could cause potential confusion while troubleshooting, especially for connectivity and interface issues.

For small/medium size implementation, running BI ABAP and BI-Java in the same instance should be fine if there's no too much workload growth and maintenance work. I guess that's why SAP made an exception in this case of BI 701 installation, having considered extra cost of running them separately perhaps.

Regards,