cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel upgrade with JSPM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have some questions regarding the kernel upgrade through the JSPM.

1.Can we do the kernel upgrade through JSPM?

2.If it is yes what are the prerequisties?

3.How JSPM will do the kernel upgrade I mean what are services will be activated in the system & how it overwrites the exe file in the system.Kindly,describe the background details how the process will start?

Will be appreciate...

Thanks,

Reddy.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can apply kernel patch using JSPM for ABAP + JAVA system and JAVA system

check /people/storm.archer/blog/2008/10/29/video-blog-updating-the-sap-kernel-using-jspm

Regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi kaushal,

I have seen the blog which you have provide and it is good.But it shows only steps how to do the kernel upgrade through JSPM.Actually,I like to know the process in the background.I mean what are services will be activated & how it overwrites the old kernel with the latest kernel.

I need the details indepth....

Thanks,

Reddy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy,

Basically JSPM does what you would do during manual update of the kernel.

Tool shuts down the system completely (ABAP+JAVA). Extracts new kernel under <JSPM dir>/tmp and copies binaries to central executable location - DIR_CT_RUN (you could check parameter with papfpar against SCS and central instance profiles).

After that tool just starts SCS and central instance. SAPCPE takes care during bootstrap to distribute newly extracted binaries to executable directories of SCS and central instance. So in case version of the kernel at DIR_CT_RUN is greater than the one at DIR_EXECUTABLE for each instance (DIR_EXECUTABLE stands for ../SCS/exe and ../DVEBMGS##/exe directories, again parameter can be checked against each instance with sappfpar) SAPCPE will copy new content over the old kernel binaries.

A bit more on version checks performed by JSPM. Tool checks sapmanifest files at DIR_CT_RUN location - sapmanifest.mf (OS kernel binaries) and sapmanifestdb.mf (DB kernel binaries). In case there are no manifest files under DIR_CT_RUN JSPM would use disp+work u2013v command.

You could check all kernel update process at JSPM logs - start with JSPM_MAIN log and look there for references to other logs concerning kernel update - SCAN_INBOX; EXTRACT logs and so on.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Vasil

Former Member
0 Kudos