cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BR0166I Parameter 'log_archive_dest' not found

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i have a problem that is BR0166I Parameter 'log_archive_dest' not found in initsid.ora. and my arch dests' are;

*.log_archive_dest_10='LOCATION=USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST LGWR MANDATORY REOPEN=5 VALID_FOR=(ALL_LOGFILES,ALL_ROLES)'

*.log_archive_dest_1=''

*.log_archive_dest_2='SERVICE=standby LGWR SYNC VALID_FOR=(ONLINE_LOGFILES,PRIMARY_ROLE) DB_UNIQUE_NAME=standby'

*.log_archive_dest_3='LOCATION=/oracle/<SID>/oraarch/<sid>arch'

thanks for advance.

ferhan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi

your issue is that you have NOT defined log_archive_dest_1.

log_archive_dest is deprecated by oracle. BR*Tools will search for this parameter or for log_archive_dest_1

You have not set any of them

why do you have defined log_archive_dest_10 and log_archive_dest_2 and log_archive_dest_3 but not log_archive_dest_1?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i set the log_archive_dest_10 for flashback and,

log_archive_dest_2 for standby ,

log_archive_dest_3 for backup but i think that brarchive default set log_archive_dest_1. i change on initsid.sap.

when i used the flashback i dont want to set the log_archive_dest_1.

thanks for advance

ferhan

0 Kudos

>

> hi,

> i set the log_archive_dest_10 for flashback and,

> log_archive_dest_2 for standby ,

> log_archive_dest_3 for backup but i think that brarchive default set log_archive_dest_1. i change on initsid.sap.

> when i used the flashback i dont want to set the log_archive_dest_1.

> thanks for advance

> ferhan

As mentioned, BRARCHIVE needs log_archive_dest or log_archive_dest_1.

You have to set one of those. Of course, it it not recommended to use the first anymore, in addition, if you need 3 destinations, you must use the log_archive_dest_<n>.

But, I do not understand why you do not want to set log_archive_dest_1.

Change the 3 to the 1.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

because the dest_10 is setted for i can use the flashback . can i use tha flashback that the detst_1 and dest_10 are setted?

thanks for advance

ferhan

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have not used (nor configured) Flashback, if you have done it you should have read the documentation.

For example, in the SAP Note 966073 - Oracle Database 10g: Flash Recovery Area it is indicated:

Parameter LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST

The parameters LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST and LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLEX_DEST are incompatible with the configuration of a Flash Recovery Area. They are replaced with the parameters LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 or LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2.

why should Not work LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 and LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_10?

I had a quick look at the oracle documentation and I was not able to see any mention of not setting both.

Perhaps the following on the [oracle documentation|http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/log_transport.htm#SBYDB00410] has made you confused:

To configure a flash recovery area, use the DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST initialization parameter. LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_10 is implicitly set to USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST

but later on it indicates

You can explicitly set up one or more other LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n destinations to point to a flash recovery area.

but nowhere says you cannot use LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 and LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_10

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i set;

*.log_archive_dest_10='LOCATION=USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST LGWR MANDATORY REOPEN=5 VALID_FOR=(ALL_LOGFILES,ALL_ROLES)'

*.log_archive_dest_1='LOCATION=/oracle/sid/oraarch/sidarch'

*.log_archive_dest_2='SERVICE=standby LGWR SYNC VALID_FOR=(ONLINE_LOGFILES,PRIMARY_ROLE) DB_UNIQUE_NAME=standby'

but;

BR0123E Format error found in line 1 of /oracle/sid/saparch/archsid.log at location arch_last_get-10

i check the initsid.sap

thanks for advance

ferhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i move the archsid.log to old.log and run again . it is finished succesfull. but i don' know that i should use the dest_1 and dest_10 .

thanks

ferhan

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Fidel,

> why should Not work LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 and LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_10?

Let's imagine the following:

- You got a Oracle Data Guard environment with Flashback

- You have set the archive log deletion policy to "APPLIED ON STANDBY"

- Backup is performed only on primary site

- The deletion of archive logs is under control of FRA space pressure on both sites

- You don't want multiplexing of archive log files

So you only need the following settings (in general)

SQL> show parameter recov
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
db_recovery_file_dest                string      /oracle/10G/oraarch/fra
db_recovery_file_dest_size           big integer 100M

SQL> alter system switch logfile;

SQL> archive log list
Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST

SQL> select SEQUENCE#, NAME from v$archived_log;
SEQUENCE#    NAME
40           /oracle/10G/oraarch/fra/10G/archivelog/2010_04_17/o1_mf_1_40_5wmg9hwx_.arc

Everyhting works fine and the archive log is stored in the FRA ... now let's add an (or two) additional LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_<N> parameter.

SQL> alter system set log_archive_dest_1='location=/oracle/10G/oraarch/' scope=memory sid='*';

SQL> archive log list;
Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            /oracle/10G/oraarch/

SQL> select SEQUENCE#, NAME from v$archived_log;
SEQUENCE#    NAME
40           /oracle/10G/oraarch/fra/10G/archivelog/2010_04_17/o1_mf_1_40_5wmg9hwx_.arc
41           /oracle/10G/oraarch/1_41_704538916.dbf

SQL> alter system set log_archive_dest_10='location=/oracle/10G/oraarch/2' scope=memory sid='*';

SEQUENCE#    NAME
40          /oracle/10G/oraarch/fra/10G/archivelog/2010_04_17/o1_mf_1_40_5wmg9hwx_.arc
41          /oracle/10G/oraarch/1_41_704538916.dbf
42          /oracle/10G/oraarch/1_42_704538916.dbf
42          /oracle/10G/oraarch/2/1_42_704538916.dbf

Now the archive log is not stored in the FRA anymore and so you are losing some features, which are essential in some Oracle HA environments. If you set several LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_<N> parameter you are multiplexing the archive log files, which is even worst (in addition of the feature loss).

Regards

Stefan

0 Kudos

Hi Stefan

Thank you for the information. I had not thinked about that.

However, in this case, the OP has

log_archive_dest_10 ='LOCATION=USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST LGWR MANDATORY REOPEN=5 VALID_FOR=(ALL_LOGFILES,ALL_ROLES)'

log_archive_dest_1 =''

log_archive_dest_2 ='SERVICE=standby LGWR SYNC VALID_FOR=(ONLINE_LOGFILES,PRIMARY_ROLE) DB_UNIQUE_NAME=standby'

log_archive_dest_3 ='LOCATION=/oracle/<SID>/oraarch/<sid>arch'

and I think that setting log_archive_dest_1 instead of log_archive_dest_3 and leaving log_archive_dest_10 as it is currently set should not change the behaviour.(That was the point I wanted to make but not very well)

I'm I correct or I'm missing something?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi stefan,

i think that is not a problem. do you?

select name,value from v$parameter where name like 'log_archive_dest_%' and value is not null

NAME VALUE

log_archive_dest_1 LOCATION=/oracle/sid/oraarch/sidarch

log_archive_dest_2 SERVICE=standby LGWR SYNC VALID_FOR=(ONLINE_LOGFILES,PRIMARY_ROLE) DB_UNIQUE_NAME=standby

log_archive_dest_10 LOCATION=USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST LGWR MANDATORY REOPEN=5 VALID_FOR=(ALL_LOGFILES,ALL_ROLES)

select name,value from v$parameter where name like 'db_recovery_file_dest'

db_recovery_file_dest /flashback/FRA

select dest_id,name from v$archived_log order by completion_time desc

1 /oracle/sid/oraarch/sidarch1_1253_713037435.dbf

2 standby

10 /flashback/FRA/PRIMARY/archivelog/2010_04_17/o1_mf_1_1253_5wlmobq9_.arc

alter system switch logfile;

DEST_ID NAME

1 /oracle/sid/oraarch/sidarch1_1254_713037435.dbf

10 /flashback/FRA/PRIMARY/archivelog/2010_04_17/o1_mf_1_1254_5wlp8x9x_.arc

2 standby

thanks for advance

ferhan

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

@ Fidel:

> I'm I correct or I'm missing something?

You are correct that it doesn't matter, if log_archive_dest_1 or log_archive_dest_3 is set.

But as i mentioned above, it depends on the demand, if you are able to set one log_archive_dest_<N> to a "location" target. If i take a look at his configuration he is using "USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST" in log_archive_dest_10, so i have a suspicion that he wants to use the FRA for archive logs (without multiplexing?).

In my experience it seems like the SAP tools (and monitoring) are not very compatible with such oracle features like FRA or Data Guard (for example sapnote #1419637 or #1364567).

@ Ferhan:

> i think that is not a problem. do you?

What should be not a problem? .. If your configuration is a problem or not, depends on the request to your HA environment .. so the questions should be...

What is the request to your Data Guard environment?

Where do you want to use flashback?

Do you want to use archive log multiplexing (store several archive log copies on primary)?

What is your required flashback time (time to flashback the database)? (Keep in mind the time for restoring of needed archive logs)

Here is just an example configuration of our Data Guard environment ... our requirements are:

1) No data loss (but without influence on production, if standby is not available apart from the short net timeout)

2) Flashback is only used on standby site to recover from logical corruption

3) Flashback of 24 hours (=with restore of needed archive log) and "Fast Flashback" (=with available archive logs in FRA) of round about 12 hours

We are not using BR*Tools for backup and recovery, so we have no limitations about configuration and usage of Oracle.

*PRIMARY SITE*
log_archive_dest_1      location="/oracle/<SID>/saparch/<SID>arch", valid_for=(ONLINE_LOGFILE,ALL_ROLES)
log_archive_dest_2      service="(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=<HOST>)
                        (PORT=1522)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=<SID>_XPT.WORLD)(INSTANCE_NAME=<SID>)
                        (SERVER=dedicated)))",    LGWR SYNC AFFIRM delay=0 OPTIONAL max_failure=0 
                        max_connections=1   reopen=60 db_unique_name="<SID>" register net_timeout=10  
                        valid_for=(online_logfile,primary_role)

*STANDBY SITE*
db_recovery_file_dest    /oracle/<SID>/saparch
standby_archive_dest    

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi ,

finally, my primary's log destinations are for flashback and standby database ;

using to backup -> log_archive_dest_1 LOCATION=/oracle/sid/oraarch/sidarch

using to send the logs standby -> log_archive_dest_2 SERVICE=standby LGWR SYNC VALID_FOR=(ONLINE_LOGFILES,PRIMARY_ROLE) DB_UNIQUE_NAME=standby

using flashback-> log_archive_dest_10 LOCATION=USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST LGWR MANDATORY REOPEN=5 VALID_FOR=(ALL_LOGFILES,ALL_ROLES)

and i can backup offline redolog with brtools. you think that will the any problem next time?

thanks for advance,

ferhan

Edited by: Ferhan Tekin on Apr 17, 2010 11:25 PM

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ferhan,

ok if i understand you correct, you don't want to store your archive logs in FRA (so not keeping them under FRA control).

You just want to store the flashback logs in the FRA.

In this case the following configuration would be enough.

db_recovery_file_dest    <YOUR_FRA_FOLDER>
log_archive_dest_1       LOCATION=/oracle/sid/oraarch/sidarch
log_archive_dest_2       SERVICE=standby LGWR SYNC VALID_FOR=(ONLINE_LOGFILES,PRIMARY_ROLE) 
                         DB_UNIQUE_NAME=standby

> and i can backup offline redolog with brtools. you think that will the any problem next time?

Keep in mind with this configuration you would need to restore some archive logs, if you want to flashback your database. I don't know if the BR*Tools already have included some flashback features and perform an automatic restore (like RMAN does). If not you have to do that manually in case of a flashback.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan,

i want to use the both dest_1 and dest_10 that standby is used with flashback.

thanks

ferhan

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ferhan,

> i want to use the both dest_1 and dest_10 that standby is used with flashback.

Ok, but if you want to use the FRA on standby .. you just have to set the parameter db_recovery_file_dest (like i did above) on standby too. No need to set log_archive_dest_10.

Just try it - it will work. I did the same configuration in our environment.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi stefan,

i try it on Standalone database. and it work. i will try it on DR. thank you stefan. and fidel.

see you.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would also try to use the latest BR*tools to see if this check is now different.

we use to need to implement log_archive_dest, now SAP recommends log_archive_dest_1

from SAP note 830576:

18.04.2008: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST replaced with LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do not use log_archive_dest paramter .only use log_archive_Dest_n (n=1 to 10).

one more thing check whether it is init<SID>.ora file or init<SID>.sap becuase

previously u written init<SID>.sap it should be init<SID>.ora

Regards

Surendra Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Do not use log_archive_Dest parameter.instead of this use log_archive_dest_1 and log_archive_dest_2 parameters like

log_archive_dest=' '

*.log_archive_dest_1='LOCATION=/oracle/<SID>/oraarch/SIDarch

valid_for=(ALL_LOGFILES,ALL_ROLES)

DB_UNIQUE_NAME=UniqueName'

*.log_archive_dest_2='SERVICE=<SID>

VALID_FOR=(ONLINE_LOGFILES,PRIMARY_ROLE)

DB_UNIQUE_NAME=uniqueName'

If these parameter not find in Init<SID>.ora file then you can add .

Surendra Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Usually init<SID>.ora file doesn't contain this parameter but spfile<SID>.ora

Parameter should look like as below:

*.log_archive_dest='/oracle/<SID>/oraarch/<SID>arch'

Have you checked the parameter from BRTools ?

OR

From DB17 Transaction:

Parameter : LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST
Value: oracle/<SID>/oraarch/<SID>arch

If you have changed the parameter, you may need to bounce the database once...

Is it DR setup ?

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes i use DR and flashback. i set destination oraarch but how is the change log_archive_dest to log_archive_dest _3. thanks

SQL> show parameter log_archive_dest

NAME TYPE VALUE

-

-

-

log_archive_dest string

log_archive_dest_1 string

log_archive_dest_10 string LOCATION=USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_

DEST LGWR MANDATORY REOPEN=5 V

ALID_FOR=(ALL_LOGFILES,ALL_ROL

ES)

log_archive_dest_2 string SERVICE=standby LGWR SYNC VAL

ID_FOR=(ONLINE_LOGFILES,PRIMAR

Y_ROLE) DB_UNIQUE_NAME=standby

log_archive_dest_3 string LOCATION=/oracle/<SID>/oraarch/<sid>arch

NAME TYPE VALUE

-

-

-

log_archive_dest_4 string

log_archive_dest_5 string

log_archive_dest_6 string

log_archive_dest_7 string

log_archive_dest_8 string

log_archive_dest_9 string

log_archive_dest_state_1 string enable

log_archive_dest_state_10 string enable

log_archive_dest_state_2 string ENABLE

log_archive_dest_state_3 string ENABLE

log_archive_dest_state_4 string enable

NAME TYPE VALUE

-

-

-

log_archive_dest_state_5 string enable

log_archive_dest_state_6 string enable

log_archive_dest_state_7 string enable

log_archive_dest_state_8 string enable

log_archive_dest_state_9 string enable

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

just use reset command to delete it from log_archive_dest and then set another parameter with set command.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i use that is brarchive -u / -jid LOG__20100414132000 -c force -p init<sid>.sap -sd.

but i don't look the log_archive_dest in init<sid>.sap. how is the change parameter?

thanks for advance

ferhan