Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode conversion - space allocation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All -

We are starting to look at converting our system to Unicode this summer, and I'm worried that we have enough space allocated on UNIX box to allow for successful conversion!

I have read the Unicode conversion guide for allocating additional space to tablespaces on the database, but does anyone have any words of caution / wisdsom for non-tablespace related space needs during a Unicode conversion? For example, I think I have all our /oracle/[sid]/sapdata directories accounted for - I am just trying to determine if I'm missing anything else.

Input is appreciated. Thanks!

Abby

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Abby,

additional Hardware requirements due to Unicode are described in SAP note 1139642.

There are no general rules for the additional hardware components needed for a Unicode conversion.

This highly depends on your planned scenario (One Server inplace / new Unicode server) and your downtime requirements. But even knowing the details no one will be able to give exact figures.

If you are lucky, you might find someone who did a similar scenario on comparable hardware.

However we highly recommend to plan for a Sandbox conversion (with a copy of your PRD system), which will be the best approach to find out reliable downtime figures and possible hardware bottlenecks.

Please also have a look at SAP note 857081.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

2 REPLIES 2

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Abby,

additional Hardware requirements due to Unicode are described in SAP note 1139642.

There are no general rules for the additional hardware components needed for a Unicode conversion.

This highly depends on your planned scenario (One Server inplace / new Unicode server) and your downtime requirements. But even knowing the details no one will be able to give exact figures.

If you are lucky, you might find someone who did a similar scenario on comparable hardware.

However we highly recommend to plan for a Sandbox conversion (with a copy of your PRD system), which will be the best approach to find out reliable downtime figures and possible hardware bottlenecks.

Please also have a look at SAP note 857081.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

former_member214857
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abby

Actullly Unicode conversion increases database size in order of 60% of the initial size. It is an estimative for this grown.

For reference you can check note:

551344 - Unicode Conversion Documentation

Kind regards