cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager Migration

s0007045141
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi people, we are going to migrate our existing SolMan on a virtual Windows with SQL Server DB to an AIX with DB2 physical server.

But the question we need to ask you is about if there is some recommendation (from your experience) about what things we need to consider at that moment regarding Monitoring, SLD, CHARM, Service Desk, etc.

Whats your experience about that kind of migration, how traumatic they result?

thanks & regards

Gustavo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

s0007045141
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you peopl, we are juyt beginning with all this matter, and in particular I need your comments about previous expierence to face this job.

Regards

stuart_campbell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gustavo

My experience from other customers is that migration will not solve a big mess - in any case it will just transfer the mess to another location ideally please check for possible solutions first before migration - perhaps these are known issues and resolvable

My experience of Solution Manager is that configuration is source and target specific- certainly all RFCs have to be adapted

for the target environment and possible RFC conflicts (naming conflicts etc) avoided

At the same time it may not be possible to migrate all content for all scenarios - this would depend on BASIS

migration or transport tools or indeed any application specific tools please check

http://service.sap.com/solutionmanager

-> Media library

-> Technical Information

--->Content Transfer

For further details

Best wishes

Stuart

s0007045141
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Raquel, as you mentioned we can perform and homogeneous/heterogeneous copy, but the big problem for me is that we hava a big mess with current SolMan, a lot of syntax error dumps, the EHP1 was not fully implemented and everyday is a new problem.

That's way we are thinking in a new installation, export all project data (I know we can do it), we must re create all monitoring system (I don't know if we can export too), and service desk is the big question because everybody tell us that we can not export/import data, so may be, we need to keep both systems while current projects remain ongoing.

What do you think.

regards

raquel_pereiradacunha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gustavo,

I had some experience in a Solution Manager migration from Linux Red-Hat 5.0 with DB Oracle 10 Unicode to Windows 2003 with DB Oracle 10 Unicode. I was responsible for the ChaRM and Service Desk part, so I cannot answer how complicated it was in other terms, and we didn't change the Database. I had to change basically the hostname and IP address everywhere it needed to have the new server connecting to the satellite systems, and vice-versa. As the database was the same, and everything run smoothly, nothing was lost regarding CRM configurations or maintenance cycles or CRM documents. But of course STMS was reconfigured since the domain controller in a 4.6C was the SolMan system and the server has been changed.

Be sure that your system has the info updated at SAP Marketplace, SLD, SMSY and RZ10 (hostname, IP, fully qualified hostname).

If I remember something else, I let you know.

Regards,

Raquel