cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring SMD Agent with CCMS

s0007045141
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi gurues, I need to know if there is any way to monitor SMD Agent installed in an application server via CCMS CEN system on a Solution Manager.

Right now we have CEN Monitoring define on Solution Manager, and several SMD Agents over the whole landscape, and it is critical for us to get alerted when this SMD goes down, so we are thinking about monitoring through Solutin Manager, isthat possible or we must do it in another way?

Regards

Gustavo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

s0007045141
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Marks, I get what you said, but how can I monitor availability of this component? or anything critical would not be affected if this SMD Agent is not working?

Thanks

Gustavo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The SMD Agent log is the best way to go for this.

Thanks,

Mark

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same issue at one of my customers.

Their SMD agents go down on occasion or they forget to restart them after maintenance.

I want to configure the system to immediately notify them when an SMD agent is down.

For sap systems and java systems there are various ways to do this, CCMSPING, sapinfo etc.

But there seems to be NO standard tool for monitoring the SMD agents.

We could monitor the logs or review the /usr/sap/<SID>/SMDA<sysno>/work/available.log but that is a bit clumsy , (I think).

Root cause analysis->agent administration shows which agents are up or down.

Is there anyway we can use that code to perform the check?

http://<host>:<port>/webdynpro/dispatcher/sap.com/tcsmdnavigation/StandaloneApp?APP_ID=ADMIN_AGENT

Any other suggestions

regards

Tony

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You should be able to monitoring an OS Process through CCMS, this could provide you with a possible way to monitor the SMD Agent process and trigger alerting when the SMD Agent is stopped:

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/49/f7ab3b92818b70e10000000a114084/content.htm]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tom.

I tried your suggestion and it works very well.

Thank you.

regards

Tony Lewis

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Tony

Nice to hear that. Thanks for informing the result.

Kind regards

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's so typical SAP; I was looking for exactly the same question. SAP changed from 7.1 the OSCOL to run by the host agent instance and will not install the OSCOL to the SAP instance. You also will not be able to download OSCOL separatly.

But OSCOL is needed to monitor processes on host side. If the host agent don't starts also the OSCOL will not start (on LINUX side) and so you are not be able to monitor the SMD process.

The only chance is to start the SMD via init script.

A better way would be to implement a GRMG availability monitoring; this can be implemented in the CEN system independent from the monitored host. In the first solution the host has to be create itself the basis to monitor itself... that's nonsense.

I absolutly don't understand why SAP always and everywhere ignore his own design concept and reinvent the wheel. It would be so easy to design and implement the availability moniroring on SAP development side but they don't have a focus on that. It is the same with SAP router connection via host agent to the CEN system. It was implemented as very last feature after a lot of disgruntled customers (administrators).

s0007045141
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark these are just the answers I was looking for.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gustavo,

SMD is not designed to be monitored by CCMS.

On the contrary: SMD uses CCMS (RZ20 and RZ21) data.

You can find more information in:

http://service.sap.com/diagnostics

And in SAP Note #1010428.

Hope this helps you out!

Thanks,

Mark