cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retriving material documents

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

what are the ways to retrive the archived material documents other than retriving via MB51.

what is the purpose of the push button storage system - retrieve files and store file in the T.code SARA for the archiving object MM_matbel.

is it required to run any batch job before retriving or we can always retrieve via MB51 after archiving.

Thanks

Mahendra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahendra,

Let me answer your second question first. Sometimes the terms 'restore', 'retrieve' and 'display' of archived documents is confusing.

Restore is to bring back the data from archive files back into the SAP database. This feature is not available for all archive objects; and also not a recommended action to do.

When you run a archiving job, it first create archive files in the file system, which can later be moved (optional) to a external storage system (like IXOS). Retrieve (as in SARA-> Storage System) is the process of bringing back the archive file to file system from the external storage system. So the store and retrieve option can be used only if you have a external storage system.

What happens thru transactions like MB51 is the display of archived document, where in the specific document (or range of documents / data) is fetched from the archive (either archive file or external storage system) for temporary display.

Hope this clarifies.

You can also use Archive Information System (transaction SARI) and Document Relationshiop Browser (transaction ALO1) to view the archived material documents. Earlier there was a option of viewing archived material documents using transaction MB03 (see note 431689) but is no longer supported as this feature requires index MKPF_ARIDX, which is no longer supported.

However, if you go to document display from either SARI or ALO1, it will be thru MB03.

Thanks,

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

We are using TMS external storage system. i have archived 1 years data and this data is moved to TMS storage system and it will be retained there for next 3 years. i am able to view this archived data today via MB51(by checking the last 2 check boxes at the bottom of the screen). i guess that reads directly from the external storage system. my question is, will i be able to veiw the archived material documents via MB51 in future also, the same as i am able to veiw it today(as long as the data is present in the external storage system) OR do i need to run an batch job to bring the data back to SAP file to view them.

the users are ok to view archived data via MB51.

what is the standard method followed to view the archived material documents.

Thanks

Mahendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahendra,

I do not see a need for any batch runs to bring the archived data back as you are already able to view the archived data stored in external storage system. You can continue to do so as long as the archived data is available in the external storage.

MB51 is a standard SAP transaction, so if users are comfortable using this to view archived documents, then i feel you need not look for an alternative.

Thanks,

Naveen

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member187989
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check this link

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you cannot retrieve archived material documents, this is not forseen.

Real retrieval is done via menu GOTO in SARA .

the retrival behind the push button storage system is to retrieve the archive from an external storage system like IXOS back into the SAP file system.(or alternative to move an archive file from SAP file system into an external storage system)