cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Refresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have a Cloned copy of PRD system on ECC 6 with Sql Server 2005 and windows 2003.Now the requirement is to rename the Old PRD system as QAS.

Following are the steps that we need to be performed from the database side:

1) Rename the Database

2) Change the Schema and authorization of the DB and bring the database up

Could some one guide me about how to change the directory structure from PRD to QAS (I.E changing the D:\usr\sap\PRD to D:\usr\sap\QAS)? Any additional steps required as well.

Thanks,

Antarpreet

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We have a Cloned copy of PRD system on ECC 6 with Sql Server 2005 and windows 2003.Now the requirement is to rename the Old PRD system as QAS.

"cloning" systems (e. g. using VMWare or other tools) is not supported as system copy option.

- user changes (environment, permissions, policies)

- filesystem permissions and access control list

- registry permissions

- database logons

- hostnames in profiles, registry etc.

Technically it's possible to do all that work manually but it's a non-supported process and hence not documented. If you have Java in your instance it's not supported at all.

To do such copies use the standard system copy procedure, you can use a database backup or you can use detach/attach but you must run sapinst to create the environment for the database and the users.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

Thanks for all your help.

I have

Changed the database name from PRD to QAS via attach/dettach.

Created OS users and assigned the similar authorizations

Database Logins have been created

SAP Profiles have been updated

Is it worthwhile for me now to continue the same forward and change Registry environment variables? Also, whats the simplest way of changing the Regisrty variables?

Thanks,

antarpreet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

Just to add, we have abap only installation.

Thanks,

Antarpreet

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello Antarpreet,

I have the same problem on my SAP..could you please share your procedure on how to do this system refresh re: changing PrD to QAS?

than you in advance sir..

Raymond

clas_hortien
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

please see note 151603.

Best regards

Clas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Clas,

Thanks for the quick prompt.

Yes I have been referring to the OSS note 151603. But I am still not sure if I manually rename the directories

usr\sap\PRD to usr\sap\QAS

usr\sap\PRD\DVEBMGS00 to usr\sap\PRD\DVEBMGS02

Would it work (after performing the database specific tasks and bringing the SQL database up)?

If you could share your experience, it would be great.

Thanks Again,

Antarpreet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you explain how you doing your "System Refresh" ? ARe you use SAPINST for this ?

You can't manually rename usr\sap\PRD to usr\sap\QAS , you need implement system copy procedure per guide, are you read the guide? Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) First uninstall SAP system from target host .

2) Perform DB copy according OSS note 151603 on target system.

3) Install SAP system i.e QAS for existing DB buy running SAPINST (homogeneous system copy)

Regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kaushal,

Is it necassary to uninstall SAP?

Since we have a cloned system in place, can we directly proceed with SAPINST to install the homogeneous system copy for existing DB?

Thanks,

Antarpreet

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Since we have a cloned system in place, can we directly proceed with SAPINST to install the homogeneous system copy for existing DB?

I would uninstall the SAP system but leave the database files as they are there.

Run SAPINST, install a new system using the system copy option and simply attach the database when requested to do so by sapinst. Then move on.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Follow the steps given by Markus.

it is better to take backup of your QAS system before system copy.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Kaushal and Markus for your flawless thoughts

I will update you all very soon with the new steps.

Regards,

Antarpreet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kaushal and Markus,

We have uninstalled the SAP and now restoring the database. Should we restore the database with the same name PRD or with QAS(the desired name)?

Thanks,

Antarpreet

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I suggest you just read the system copy guide.

The environment must be created first (means using sapinst), then sapinst will halt and request you to copy the database (or restore it from a backup) and then move on.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus, on windows platform and MSSQL database situation are not same, first step are restore database(using any supported method) and only after you need to start sapinst ... Regards.